DSA STG-58 range report

Icopy

I finally took my DSA-built STG58 to the range for the first time. I had it built with their standard muzzle brake instead of the stoli-copy brake at no extra charge. Armed with 100 rounds of Hirt 7.62, I trekked out to my club’s 100 yard range. I set the gas regulator to 7, loaded one round in the mag, set down the light military bi-pod, and I fired off the round. The bolt stayed opened with the gas regular set on 7. I verified this setting several times and there was no evidence of short recoils So I set it to 6.5 just to be sure and started shooting for groups. Using a Navy Hold on the target, I was consistently shooting 1.5 to 2" groups. One measured just under an 1"! Granted I was using the bi-pod, but I was impressed. Recoil was mild. I allowed the barrel to cool a bit every ten round as I checked my target. The rifle performed flawlessly throughout the 100 round trial. My only complaint is the metal hand-guard does heat up. The DSA STG-58 is a great buy and comes with a Koplin case, 1-20 round austrian magazine and lifetime warranty.

Coronach

I love my DSA STG-58. Eventually I plan to ditch the bipod (too much weight forward) and get handguards that don't burnt the flesh off your palms :)D), and also do something about the length of the buttstock and the ergonomics of the pistol grip...and add an ACOG scope and... and...

All this once I win the lottery. As-is, its a perfectly good rifle. Accurate enough and fun.

Mike

Icopy

I'm putting my order the plastic handguards from DSA this week. I will post another range report comparing the two handguards. That's the only thing I plan on changing. It's a great rifle.

Destructo6

There's a cheap easy way to keep the steel handguards from burning your hands: wear gloves.

Outside of that, there's the Ironwood stock set or the above mentioned DSA synthetic.

Mikul

I recently had the pleasing opportunity to shoot my SA58 at 300m man-sized targets.

I popped it 28 times in four minutes from a sitting position.