DS Arms lag time

greeniron

From what I have read a number of members here have purchased firearms/parts from DS Arms. My question is this, how long did it take to get your order? I have been waiting for an M4 upper for 5 weeks.

I know they make a quality product as I own an FAL from them,but I got that many years ago. I'm not sure if things have changed there or not, when I call I am told it will be shipped but have yet to see it. And no I have not been charged for it. And I do realize that when your good your busy.

It would be nice on their website if they let you know if the part was in stock or a back order item so you could look around. I just want to build an M4 that is made from all the same mfgr's parts, thats why I have not yet purchased an upper from another company.
Thanks

nikdfish

I'm in the same boat re waiting. I ordered a 300blk upper on Jan 7 and don't have even an estimated shipping date yet. From what I've heard from folks who have talked with some DSA folks, they were short on some components (forward assist & flash hiders) for pretty much all of January.

A comment from a DSA rep on another board about 300blk barrels becoming available indicated that things would be moving by the middle of Feb (i.e. on Jan 27 he said "Barrels in two weeks, uppers in two weeks ... the real word, trust me.")

We'll see...

Nick

karlb

I ordered one of their $150 14.5" chrome lined 1-7 M4 barrels right after Christmas. I think I had it in 5 or 6 days. Obviously, it was in stock and on sale, so it may not help much.

greeniron

When I bought my lower from DS Arms last fall I got that in about 5 days. The whole plan was to purchase a piece at a time then build it. It seemed cheaper plus it gave me something to do over the winter. I ordered 2 more Del - Ton lowers from JSE and they were shipped in 36 hours. At a very good price also. I had to buy 2 of them, if I built one more for myself and not one for the wife it would not have went over too well. But my next uppers I think will come from JSE.

greeniron

I just talked with DS Arms, minimum 4 more weeks. Then I talked with JSE, ordered today shipped today, same price, but it comes complete with BCG and charging handle. I guess it pays to shop around.

nikdfish

Just got off the phone after talking with DSA about the 300BLK upper I ordered on Jan 7. The rep sounded surprised it hadn't been included in "the last batch", and that it would be one of the first going out "in a couple of weeks" (when the next batch is done.:confused:). He assured me they have a "first in first out" queue when I asked if the order might be stuck in the bottom of someone's in-box...

Nick

greeniron

Nick,
I called DS Arms today myself. And he was very polite in telling me that he just got an e mail saying that all upper's are another 4 to 6 weeks out. Same thing I was told in Jan and Feb.

I asked him what the hold up was since I ordered it in Dec, now they claim that it is due to heavy Police and Military contracts that they are trying to fill.

What pisses me off is that they never told me they were back ordered when I ordered it, and the website never says if an item is back ordered like other sites do. They don't seem to mind wasteing the time of the little guy's.

If it comes in it comes in, but I doubt I will do business with them again.

The excuse is up there with, The check is in the mail, no new taxes, and another one I cant put on line.

justthefacts

Do not waste your time

I ordered an item in JULY 2012 and it is now almost November! Do elsewhere. They have a F grading with the better Business Bureau! :mad:

HiBC

More than one way of looking at it,I guess.

I don't want to go political,but a few months before the 2008 election,I placed an order with DPMS for an LR308L.Delivery estimate at order was 6 months.It took 18.

I guess the business is structured for sustained demand and the business plan.They don't hire/layoff with our panics.

And,generally,a lot of parts are not made in house.So there will be a supply chain siubject to breaks.

I don't know how DSA is doing these days.But shootings,politicians promising new AWB,the uncertainty of election,I'd bet they have a long backlog.

I do not know the status now,but a few months back my dealer told me Ruger,at that time,was not accepting new orders.Thjey needed to catch up.

I know it is horribly frustrating,but I would not single out DSA.Some times the wheels turn slow in the gun biz.

candr44

DSA has long had a history of leaving individual customers hanging while they give priority to contract customers. I don't know if they do this because of a parts shortage and have to direct thier resources towards more profitable contract customers. However, from the way they hide their inventory status and keep leaving individuals hanging, I get the impression they genuinely don't care about the individual customer. Last time I checked they also quit offering less expensive Post Office shipping on parts.