drying brass in the oven

243winxb

No. Preheat oven first. Keep brass far away from heating element. "my brass always comes out slightly tarnished. " mine also, as said below.

Last edited:
You have to get to about 250°C to start stress relieving brass. That works out to 482°F. The main trick is not letting anything you put in your oven get that hot; not even briefly. Most ovens overshoot and undershoot the control temperature setting some, especially for the first heater on/off cycle. Plus, most don't have a setting that is exactly accurate. So, stick a thermometer in the oven and make sure it never goes anywhere near 482°F. That sounds impossible for a setting in the 200°F range, but I've seen at least one toaster oven that was nearly that far off.

So, preheat, as suggested, to get past that first control cycle. If you stack two cookie sheets and put the brass on the top one, that usually leaves a thin air gap between them that will protect the brass from direct heat coming off the heating element, be it electric or gas. Pizza stones or other masses work to average the temperature and prevent direct exposure, though you don't want lead from primer residue getting on surfaces you'll cook food on. This is best done with cookie sheets or a pizza stone dedicated to brass drying.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

No.

But. . .

I've done it (same time and temp, even) and my brass always comes out slightly tarnished. Doesn't hurt anything, but they don't come out that bright shiny white-ish yellow. Kind of a dull, tawny orange-ish. I don't like it.

I live in a dry climate and I'm generally patient. So just laying them out on an old towel (old towels absorb moisture better than new ones) for about 48 hrs. works best for me.

lokidansk

thanks guys!!!!!
i figured i was safe to do it but wanted to ask.
gunna do a cookie sheet with a expanded metal
rack on it. i will be sure to preheat and use a digital
thermomitor as well.

thanks again

P.S.
Damn yall were fast to answear!

HJ857

If it works out for you, it'll probably be better in the long run to get a toaster oven dedicated to the task.

I run 150 degrees for an hour and occasionally up to 90 minutes, and that does the trick.

The thing about cooking brass is that it can leave a funky odor in the oven. In my experience, the ladies are less than thrilled about cooking anything in a bad smelling oven.

Griff SASS93

I run mine for about an hour @ 175ºF and have always had them dry... Let me tell ya, after soaking for a few hours in a mixture of hot water and dish soap, then rinsing them in the sink... any stink in the oven is the least of the Mrs's worries... especially since I only do this with cases that have had the one true powder in them!

Geezerbiker

The one time I did it, I preheated the oven to 250 then turned it off right after putting the brass in and let them all cool together. It worked fine.

Tony

Hummer70

Find a metal box, 50 cal ammo can will work. Drill hole in wall at bottom and install a 50 watt light bulb and a muffin/computer fan. Put brass in a metal pan, place in ammo can, turn on light bulb and computer fan and leave them about 8 hours. All will be gently dried without discoloring brass.

In summer time lay brass out on dark towel in sunlight before heading to work, will be dry when you get home.

In winter place brass in nylon net bag like is used to carry wet bathing suits and lay on heat outlet in floor and let the warm incoming air dry them as it goes by to heat your home.

flashhole

Loosely coupled water molecules are liberated from the surface at 157 degrees F. Those that aren't molecularly bonded are loosely coupled. Drying time depends on how wet the brass is. I like to leave the shaken brass in a 175 degree F oven for an hour or so.

TXGunNut

I have a dedicated cookie sheet and towel for for drying my BP brass. If it's a nice, hot sunny day and I'm in no hurry I'll let them dry outside. If not I'll dry them at 250 to make sure all the water evaporates. I like the patina this gives but I generally tumble them anyway.

4runnerman

Take a 3/4 " 12 inch by 12 inch chunk of plywood. Mark 100 squares in it. Buy 100-4" finishing nails( small heads). Pound in about 1/2 inch deep. Turn oven to 150 Degrees. Place cases on nails , Case mouth down. When oven hits 150,turn it off, place board in oven and walk away. In 20 mins you will have very dry brass,inside and out. Sometimes you will get water spots ( no big deal) drop brass back in tumbler for 5 mins and they are gone. Been doing it that way for a long time now. Works great. The heat inside the oven will last more than long enough to dry them. This pic is for my 6MMBR board with 308 cases on it. All my 6BR is loaded,so you get the general idea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

4runnerman

243winxb- Toaster oven- It makes no difference. The Idea is, The oven, toaster oven,ect is pre warmed. The elements are turned off before you put brass in. The heat retained inside the oven is more than enough to dry them. A good oven heated to 150 will retain heat for a long time. I think just turning brass upside down sitting in the sun on a hot day will dry them very fast. The board just helps the water run out and for air movement inside the case . Cases laying on their sides in a pan will retain water( puddle so to say). Takes a lot longer to dry them. Now the pic I posted is misleading also. When you do this,there are no primers in the cases.

BumbleBug

Roll wet brass in an old bath towel & shake vigorously. Then lay out on a dry towel or pad & finish off with a hair dryer. Works great if you need it fast!

FWIW...

..bug

g.willikers

During hot weather, use sun power to dry them.
And then you can brag about being ecologically correct, even if you shoot lead bullets.

oldpapps

Don't want to 'cook' your brass!
Just warm it to facilitate the evaporation of any water.

I spread an old towel on a pizza tin (big round thing I pulled out of the trash). Turn on the oven. Temp depends on how much volume of brass I will have. 300 to 350 degrees will do well.

I rinse my brass and separate the SS pins, tossing the clean and wet brass on the towel. With the brass spread evenly on the towel, I turn off the oven and put the brass in. By the time the cold and wet brass get into the oven, it can't be much over 275 or so degrees. When the oven is cool, the brass is dry.

It is not hard and I don't think the brass is altered any. Just dry.

Load with care,

OSOK