Dry firing

croyance

How do you guys dry fire practice?

I can't always get to a range, so sometimes I practice drawing and firing on the TV. I use variations of "Hey, Bob!", or wait for favorite TV characters/hosts to come on screen.
I draw and aim quickly, making sure I keep my finger off the trigger until the "target" is aquired. The safety is taken off as the gun comes up. Afterwards, I check to make sure I had the right sight picture. Sometimes I don't pull the trigger to make sure that I have the right sight picture and am not pulling the gun off target.
To do this, the image must stay in the same place for a couple of seconds.

I just wanted to see what other variations you have thought of.

And you thought there was no use for Rosie, or various political figures!

Kermit

When I'm practicing at home, I usually just pop a snap cap in my pistol, lay a dime on the front sight and see how many times I can fire w/o dropping it (shooting DAO of course!) I've been doing this for a while now and it works GREAT!

Blackhawk

I usually just pop a snap cap in my pistol, lay a dime on the front sight and see how many times I can fire w/o dropping it (shooting DAO of course!)
I could only get 3-4 shots off doing the dime trick until I started putting the dime flat side down instead of on its edge.... ;-)

I usually dry fire one handed aiming at a fixed point about 20 feet away practicing solid aim point and steady aim control through the DA trigger pull. Quick draw doesn't do much for be because I'm POSITIVE that my natural point shooting is exactly on target -- within a half caliber width -- so I don't need to practice that.

dsk

I'll often do it while watching an action movie, and try capping the bad guys. Maybe that's a little immature, but hey it makes those otherwise corny action flicks a little more entertaining. :)

Navy joe

Any VPC stats on how many TV's die each year during "Movies for guys who like movies" from supposedly unloaded guns? :eek: I'm all by myself and am still quite paranoid about pulling the trigger. Check chamber constantly. I have small sights on most of my gun, so the dime is hard to do, but I can usually dry fire my 1911 a couple of times thumbcocking in between before I lose it.

Hemicuda

I use a .357 casing, balanced on the topstrap or slide...

start with it base-down... and when you think you are good at not knocking it off, turn it base-up... get the center of gravity up high...

works better, and more sensative than a dime, IMHO...

C.R.Sam

Even for a point shooter, drawing each time can help. Points out any differences in grip between draws.

Small, fixed, target for sight practice good too. The smaller the target, the more obvious any movement during the firing.

Sam

KSFreeman

Remember, all four rules apply. Verbalize.

I like the Jeff Copper method (shooting at "o"s on TV). Currently practicing with shotguns for my Tejas class.

See you in Saint Tony's!:cool:

ronin308

I like to dryfire at hockey players. This helps me with my leading and my trigger control on moving targets. I especially like busting caps at the Flyers since I grew up near 'da Burgh :)

Dan

bad_dad_brad

Dry firing is okay for most modern firearms. Some of the tiny handguns have disclaimers in the owner's manual not to dry fire. Specifically, guns that use a light weight inertial firing pin like the Beretta Jetfire and many of the Kel Tec pistols. In those cases use a snap cap or a spent cartridge to protect the firing pin.

Dry firing is a very useful practice. I use a mirror and aim and shoot at my image. Just make sure your gun is UNLOADED. Glocks want and demand plenty of dry firing as their mechanism just becomes smoother with each pull of the trigger.

I think in most cases, dry firing is a good thing.

straightShot

One thing that I always stress is to NEVER have ammo anywhere near where one practices. This is very, very important.

Dry fire and practice safe gun handling techniques as much as possible. Dedicate an area in your house as a practice area. Practice getting a flash-sight picture, aiming from the knees, on your belly, from a chair, in low light conditions, etc. You may need to wait until the significant other is out shopping and such. The life you save may be your own...

Texas Bob

The garage makes for a great dry-fire room. Try different draw from ackward positions and allways come up aiming at a "realistic target" taped to the wall. A piece of carpet scrap on the floor eliminates the dropped sctatches no-one talks about. If you are ever snowed in this will test your presentations from winter clothing using gloves, while the wife thinks you are taking a break from shoveling the driveway.:)