Dry Firing With Titanium Firing Pin

Dragline45

I am going to be picking up a SR1911 CMD hopefully this weekend. I read that they have titanium firing pins and was wondering if I need to be more cautious when dry firing since titanium is more brittle than steel?

DaleA

Bump.

Don't ask me.

It was news to me that some had titanium feed ramps the better to handle the gouging of the lips of the hollow point .45 acp ammo. :confused:

For me my older steel 1911's have been good without titanium but I appreciate learning new stuff here so I'll watch this thread.

Rinspeed

A lot of my pistols have been dry fired hundreds or thousands of times. It's a very valuable tool to becoming a better shot. Don't worry about it at all in my opinion.

P71pilot

Almost all modern 1911s these days come with titanium firing pins. I know my Springfield 1911 loaded model made in 2013 has a 9mm style titanium firing pin. Dry firing the pistol SHOULD not cause any issues, but be sure the read the entire owners manual as it may specify

JDBerg

I dry-fire all of my handguns including my own SR1911 Commander length. It part of practicing, it's just as important as live-fire practice

Jim Watson

Dryfire will eventually squash the firing pin spring and may batter the firing pin. So what? All the best shooters dryfire a lot and an occasional pin or spring is just part of their training budget. Cheaper than ammo.

rodfac

Not to my knowledge, but as a rule, I use an empty case chambered to cushion the hammer fall. I have a friend that punches out the spent primer, then trims and glues a pencil eraser into the primer pocket. He gets a hundred shots or so out of the rig, then has to cut, scrape and refit. It's a simple procedure. With a spent case, I dry fire 9-10 shots, then use another case.

Rod

Big Shrek

Switch to the Laser Caps, puts a dot on the wall where a hole
would normally appear ;)
lets you know if your grip is right, finger position, etc...
Available at better sporting goods stores!