dry firing...sigh...

jborushko

am i the only one tired of dry firing treads?

just go out and spend the $8 on a pack of snap caps! its not exactly a major purchase people! cut back on 1 pack of smokes or 2 starbucks!

i've been playing with guns for a while now, and havent seen any MAJOR instances where dry firing has cause damage, IMO why risk it? I mitigate the risk and buy the dang snap caps!

does anyone have any instances where dry firing has caused real failure? pictures?

KLRANGL

Snap caps are good for more than just pointing your gun at the wall and going click. There are many drills that you could/should do that require the use of snap caps. For that alone, they are worth the money.

But when I don't have caps handy, I don't feel bad about letting the hammer drop on an empty chamber. But that hardly ever happens.

donkee

Some guns (CZ-50/70, CZ-52, etc) have brittle firing pins so you should use snap caps on those or risk preaking a pin.

All rimfire guns should have a snap cap or something to keep from peening.

SwampYankee

You're tired of dry firing threads so you start a thread on dry firing?

Personally, unless it is a rimfire rifle/pistol, dry firing does not bother me. I don't waste my time on snap caps or on guns that require them (aka: junk).

kraigwy

Dry firing is a critical and important part marksmanship training. I'm actually surprised there are so few post concerning dry firing.

But I'm also surprised to see, those who reportedly are interested in learning to shoot, spend more time, and more post on gimmicks for firearms then on the fundamentals of shooting itself.

MrBorland

just go out and spend the $8 on a pack of snap caps!

Tired of dry firing? No. Tired of snap cap debates? Maybe so, as I really don't care whether some use them or not.

But I'm also surprised to see, those who reportedly are interested in learning to shoot, spend more time, and more post on gimmicks for firearms then on the fundamentals of shooting itself.

+1. It's all about the fundamentals. You never really get beyond them.

Your manual will tell you whether or not it is safe. Listen to it.

The Ruger Single-Six (rimfire, SA revolver) states clearly that you CAN dryfire it all you like. I still find it surprising, but the good folks that designed the gun know better than I.

Don P

just go out and spend the $8 on a pack of snap caps! its not exactly a major purchase people! cut back on 1 pack of smokes or 2 starbucks!

Has someone awakened on the wrong side of the bed? Or perhaps the undies a little too tight and wadded up:confused:

Folks are just looking for info and these types of questions usually come from new members that are new to the shooting world.

Would you respond the same way when a member is asking other members to help he/she decide on what type or brand gun to purchase or ammo to buy?

Ease up and have a cold one.

jborushko

You're tired of dry firing threads so you start a thread on dry firing?

yeah thats how you do it on a internet thread right? my point is NOT the number of threads but the "if you have to ask..."

i just dont understand

Last edited:

pax

I dislike snap caps because I don't want any ammunition-shaped objects in the room with me while I'm dry firing. YMMV and probably does... ;)

Oh, as for damage done while dry firing: yeah, I know everyone's worried about hurting the gun, but that's not worth batting an eye over. What should you worry about? This.

pax

jborushko

pax said:
I dislike snap caps because I don't want any ammunition-shaped objects in the room with me while I'm dry firing. YMMV and probably does...

why is that? worried about mistakenly putting a live round in the gun?

Katsumi Liquer

My "snap cap" of choice for hammer-fired pistols is a rubber "O"-ring strategically placed around the exposed rear of the firing pin at the back of the slide. Cheaper than a real snap cap, lasts practically forever, and completely prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin.

jmr40

Been dry firing a lot for 40+ years. Never owned a snap cap. Never had a problem.

Some guns break while dry firing, but I'm convinced all of them would have broken at exactly the same round count if it had all been live fire.

There are obvious exceptions. I don't dry fire guns not designed for it.

OsOk-308

Snap caps are wonderful. Worry-free dry firing, and all sorts of malfunction drills. Only problem is when I practice with them, occasionally they will fall under my couch. Looking for them afterwards can suck.

but snap caps are a must for ANY gun owner.