Dry firing breaks pin

ClayInTx

I have always heard that dry firing will eventually break the firing pin but I’ve never actually seen one broken this way nor actually know of a specific case of this.

How many of you have first hand knowledge of this happening?

rbernie

I have seen it happen first-hand to several O/U shotguns. I have also seen dry-firing of a rimfire cause chamber peening that effectively ruined the barrel.

Ridge_Runner_5

Depends on the weapon.

AR-platform weapons will not be a problem, as the firing pin glides freely in the bolt assembly.

.22s supposedly have a greater chance of this, since the firing pin slams down on the barrel breech...

Maser

I always heard they broke from improper hardening if dry fired. I've heard instances where bolts were hardened too much and they shattered like glass when dry fired.

Last edited:

LukeA

It is impossible to damage a properly-assembled, non-defective firearm of modern firearm through fry-firing.

jmr40

I generally agree that it will not hurt MOST guns. There are many exceptions including most double barreled shotguns and most 22's. My Kel-Tec specifically suggests not dry firing. Most modern centerfires will not be harmed nor will Ruger 22's. If in doubt read the owners manual.

jesus5150

My USP manual says dry firing is fine. (I still avoid it though) And my buddy has an XD and the manual says it's totally healthy for the firearm. But those don't have de-cockers or exposed hammers so you HAVE to dry fire them (Or find an excuse to pop one off)

SigP6Carry

generally in modern centerfire pistols it's fine to dry fire. Rimfire generally isn't good because it either wears out the firing pin (by slamming into another part of the gun) and with leave wear on whatever part of the gun it hits. If you're concerned about dry firing, the easy answer is: use empties, dummy rounds or snap-caps.

jesus5150

SIDEBAR

1.24274238 miles, because Russians don't need scopes.

I'm a bit confused by this one. What does almost 2k have to do with russians and their scopes? Is this a history or movie reference that i'm not getting?

SigP6Carry

I'm a bit confused by this one. What does almost 2k have to do with russians and their scopes? Is this a history or movie reference that i'm not getting?
It's the highest setting on the sight of the Mosin. It's absurd to have iron sites like that! So I attribute that to being optimistic about conscripted troops and fine humor in it. Plus, when you set the sight that high, you can't even shoulder the rifle and use the sight.

jesus5150

Oh my gosh that's awesome... I just got my first mosin for christmas and I put it up and couldn't figure it out... I thought, muzzle grenades???

HA HA HA Thanks for the elaboration.

CK_32

Dont do it!

Thats all you need to know. Just dont do it.
But a A-Zoom snap caps for $11. Its ok to fire a few times. But dont
do it often or youll have a nice repair headed yur way.

ClayInTx

Thomme,

I’m not concerned about it. I dry fire, and have done so for years, to practice trigger control and to overcome jerking or flinching. I always figured that if I did break a firing pin I’d just fix it and go back to dry firing.

Why I posed the question is because I’ve many times heard, “Don’t dry fire! My cousin’s uncle had a friend whose wife’s father’s fifth cousin did that and it broke the firing pin”.

I have not, until rbernie’s post, ever heard a first hand account.

I’m curious, that’s all.

TargetTerror

It will probably be fine, but just realize what you are doing. When the firing pin hits a primer, the primer cushions the forward movement of the firing pin/hammer assembly (depending on the action). Without the primer to cushion this forward movement, another part of the action must absorb all of it. So, depending on the action, the action may or may not eventually peen as a result of this. Once probably won't do anything. But 50k times just might. Or not. But a snap cap WILL help cushion things, and should remove the likelihood of peening.

fastforty

I think that the issue started with handguns that have a firing pin fixed to the hammer. It then spiraled out of control and finally into mass hysteria. You're not going to hurt a modern centerfire semiautomatic handgun by dry firing it. On the classroom range, dry firing is a very regular activity. When you have had 50+ handguns side by side on the range dry firing many 100's (if not 1,000) times each for 10-20 years and you've never seen a broken firing pin or damage/peening, you stop listening when sheeple cry "wolf".

nitetrane98

I have dry fired every weapon I have ever owned. Some of them thousands of times. Never had a problem.

While I'm a big believer in the statement, "Consensus is often confused with the right answer." This is one time where I believe all of the gun writers, and yes even the manufacturers, who say it is OK to dry fire.

The only firing pin I have ever personally seen go bad was the right barrel of my Grandpa's old Mississippi Valley Arms SXS .410. It was mushroomed like a cheap chisel. I can just about guarantee that Grandpa didn't sit around in front of the TV dry firing for hours at a time. It had never seen so much as a candle for heat treating or tempering.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I heard of and saw pictures of a Glock that actually had a broken breech face from dry-firing. Supposedly the pin assembly repeatedly crashing into the back of the breech with being "cushioned" by a primer. No idea if it's true or not but I recall seeing the pictures.

45Gunner

When in doubt, read the owner's manual as most address this issue. For my own peace of mind, I use snap caps. They are a very small investment to protect a rather large investment.....sort of like putting wax on your car. Not needed but it sure extends the life of the paint.

James R. Burke

I am sure not saying it can not happen but I never seen it happen. The guns I can uncock when done hunting or storing by holding the triger and closing the bolt I do. The ones I cant that includes my double upland citori I do dry fire. Been doing it for years and never broke a pin or had any trouble from it. I am not saying it cant happen or do it I am just saying my experince with it.

Bill DeShivs

I have seen it numerous times over the years. While most modern firearms are much less susceptible to damage, think about this:
When you hit metal with metal, something will eventually deform or WORK HARDEN. Work hardening makes metal harder, thus more brittle and prone to cracking or breakage. Thousands of cycles will inevitably break something, so you guys that sit in front of the TV dry firing your guns are damaging them. Will they break soon? Probably not-mst modern weapons are designed for a limited amount of dry firing. But, if you keep on doing it something has to give, and a part will either deform or break.
Just buy good snap caps, and don't try to make them!