Drop compensating reticles

horseman308

I've used one or two scopes with BDC reticles (not mil-dot). They were accurate enough to hit NRA high-power silhouette steel out to 500m, but I didn't get a chance to shoot for groups.

I'm curious to know if these reticles are worthwhile for recreational mid-to-long-range shooting or if they're mostly gimmicks. Those who shoot around 500-800m or so, do you use these or do you just use a more traditional reticle with target-style turrets on your scopes?

I know people can do really well with Mildot scopes, but I've never tried one of those. Just curious about the opinions of people who know.

HiBC

If you pull the batteries out of an analog clock to turn it off,it will still tell you exactly the right time twice a day.

It is a bit the same with the reticles.The different marks are in exactly the right place at some range.

It is also true you can move the curve around a bit by varying sight in distance.For example,you may find that if you sight the 200 yd mark in at 200 yds,the results are mediocre.But,it might be that if you sight a mark dead on at 385 yds,the trajectory will work out to spread a 2 or 3 inch error across the board.

It mihgt also be true you will get a match at 220 yds,305 yds,and 380 yds,or some such.If you know that,it is useful.

Most all tools take some understanding and practice to use them well.

T. O'Heir

BDC isn't the reticle. It's the scope turret. Really just a Bushnell marketing thing. The Bullet Drop Compensator only works with specific factory ammo. More trouble than it's worth when handloading. Far less BS to know the ballistics of the cartridge and how well you can shoot at long range.
"...didn't get a chance to shoot for groups..." Any scope has to be sighted in.
"...Mildot scopes..." They have a learning curve. They're about range estimating.

fyimo

I just bought a Nikon Coyote 4.5x14x40mm scope and they market it with BDC and it's a system wehere the reticle has circles on the vertical reticle. The scope is designed really to shoot 22-250 and a couple of other varmint rounds and in their directions they tell you how to zero the scope in for the circles to be on at certain distances with those calibers. In my case with a 22-250 the circles are on for rounds traveling at 3700 FPS so that's what I will reload them to.

My point is in the old days the BDC was in the turret and Tasco and Bushnell both had systems in their scopes where you put rings in or on the turret that were for different caliber ranges. My son still has a Tasco like that on his Browning 300 Win mag. Today the current trend is scopes with lines scribed on the vertical reticle that represent drop at distances past 100 yards.

SeekHer

There are a few that use little circles or lines in the bottom of the image to use against deer sized game or a grid system like with the Horus Vision reticle...

Pride-Fowler
Shepherd
Horus
B W Optic
Leatherwood Hi-Lux -- ART scopes

They all work to varying degrees but are there as an aid not an exact science...

Although Mil-Dot etc. type scopes will be different when you have a different POI from standard but it will not negate the fact that the space between the dots or hash marks being standard heights for measuring...That's why you have to shoot thousands of rounds and mark your Sniper's Log with the results of each shot so you'll know which dot to use for holdover/Kentucky but most shooters now just dial in their new range and hold POA...