drone gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach_

So, I am watching the news, and I see that drones with cameras can be put together and operated by anybody with minimal mechanical and computer skills. Sounds like fun. These drones look to be easy pickens. Has anyone here shot down a drone? If I see one hovering over my house, I would be very tempted to clip it's wings. Bird shot perhaps?

schneiderguy

The one I have has brittle plastic rotors spinning at a few thousand RPM.

Birdshot would do the trick. I'm guessing that even an airsoft bb would be enough to snap off one of the rotor blades.

Creek Henry

Hay

Go big or go home!

index.php

the rifleer

You know how you get mad when people say "guns are bad, we need to ban them"?

People into aircraft models you be equally annoyed with this post.

That 1% or whatever of bad, irresponsible gun owners that give everyone a bad wrap is the same 1% of bad, irresponsible rc airplane owners.

Most RC airplanes have a range of about 1/4 mile, so unless you have someone with some hard core stuff, chances are the person with the "drone" is very close, and it could very easily just be a teenager flying it around in the country because he doesn't want to crash it in a housing area.

darkgael

?

Why would you want to shoot one down? So it is hovering over your house....so what? Why is that a problem?

BigBL87

I'm not alarmist, but a drone hovering over my house would concern me. Privacy being the main concern, but could also be used by some idiot casing the house to break in. Sounds unlikely, but it could happen. Now, that being said I wouldn't shoot one down because of the safety and legal issues involved. Might file a complaint of some kind though. That all being if it was hovering over or focusing on my house. If it was just flying over/past, I really couldn't care less as long as it isn't disturbing me.

Nathan

I'm not sure about drones....but rc helicopters are just about impossible to fly and expensive.

How does this work well for criminals? If I was concerned about a drone over my house, I'm looking for the guy with the controller. When I find the 45 yr old rc pilot, I'll just talk to him.

Most rc craft must be in visual range.

Microgunner

zach said:
So, I am watching the news, and I see that drones with cameras can be put together and operated by anybody with minimal mechanical and computer skills. Sounds like fun. These drones look to be easy pickens. Has anyone here shot down a drone? If I see one hovering over my house, I would be very tempted to clip it's wings. Bird shot perhaps?

Just throw your beer can at it.

zach_

Darkgael, do you have daughters? You might understand wanting to eliminate a peeping tom if you did.

Last edited:

g.willikers

Shooting up in the air, in an occupied neighborhood?
What goes up must come down - with your name on it.
That notion has a name, too, but just call it unwise.

briandg

Don't do it.

Especially since your original post says that "it looks like fun" and that you "want to clip its wings."

that's the worst excuse for engaging in illegal vandalism I've ever heard.

pathdoc

Seriously worried? Call the cops and file a complaint. Low enough and orbiting/loitering when your granddaughter is about? Throw a rock or use a high end Nerf gun.

NateKirk

I don't see what all the fuss is over drones; it's just a 4 prop RC helicopter and those have been around for years, people put cameras on them all the time.

And if you're not joking about shooting them down, just remember it more than likely belongs to some teenager, than the CIA. Would you feel the same about taking some guys phone and smashing it? Destruction of personal property aside, in most jurisdictions it's illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits. If you're worried about a drone in the area just call a cop and notify them, it's what they are there for.

Last edited:

zach_

After a little research, I am thinking airsoft semiauto pistol. I can't.....no, make that I don't, believe that some of you are OK with a drone hovering close to your home. I might get an rc device of some kind. They do look like fun. I promise I won't fly it near anybody's home other than my own.

Microgunner

You can buy a multi frequency RC transmitter and keep changing frequencies until you find the drone's and "shoot it down". The interference will cause an unavoidable crash everytime.
And it's cheaper than jail time.

TXAZ

Micro gunner is on the right track. (And clearly were talking about drones outside the jurisdiction of any frequency coordinator/authority.)

Drones use many different frequency bands for their control and data channels.
If you can identify the specific drone, the guessing of the channels are limited and and the drone is easy to compromise. If not, you probably don't have enough $$$$ to acquire a system that detects an active channel then automatically take over the channel.

Cheapshooter

So it is hovering over your house....so what? Why is that a problem?

Yea, let the perverts, and snoops that used to hide in the bushes with telescopic lenses, and binoculars have a new high tech way of invading your privacy!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.