Driving to Alaska with guns

1tfl

My cousin wants me and my family to come visit him in Alaska this year.
He lives outside of Willow. My wife and I think it would be great to drive up to visit him.

The question I have is how we can drive to Alaska from lower 48 carrying a rifle or two and handgun or two. I would have to drive through Canada and I don't know if it can be done.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

ChuckS

Found it:

Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

Last edited:

BarryLee

I have always wondered the same thing and knew there were some restrictions related to transporting firearms through Canada. However, what about taking a ferry from Washington State up to Alaska is that even an option? If so are there any restrictions related to firearms?

Jim March

There's a car-carrying ferry that leaves from the Seattle area straight to Alaska, bypassing "America's Hat". It generally has more guns on it than most warships of a similar size :) because that's how everybody dodges Canadian gun laws.

I wonder what would happen if the ferry's engine broke and they had to make a stopover in Canada?

:)

Isk

Made that trip a couple times but haven't brought a firearm up. My FIL has many times. Take the long guns (be sure to declare them) but leave everything else. They don't bat an eye at the rifles or a shotgun on the border, but supposedly you're more likely to get your car searched when they know you have handguns. They just aren't as happy about handguns over there I guess.

markj

The question I have is how we can drive to Alaska from lower 48 carrying a rifle or two and handgun or two. I would have to drive through Canada and I don't know if it can be done.

Jim nailed it, and it is a fine ride on that ferry.

aaalaska

Do the paper work ,long guns no prob. Leave the handguns behind, they just don't like them there. Had our trailer stripped one time,[because you people love handguns]. And no they don't put anything back, and if something gets broken they may say sorry.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
motorhead0922 said:
...It's a 2 day ferry ride though....
It sounds like fun. I've always wanted to see Alaska, and I love being on the water. Now just need to find someone to take care of the cat for a few weeks.

sigcurious

Its longer than two days, to easily get to Willow, Whittier would be the closest port. Can't drive from Ketchikan. The Alcan is a really nice drive though worth doing once.

Crazy88Fingers

My grandfather made that same drive many moons ago and supposedly disassembled his 9mm and hid it throughout the recreational trailer he was towing. I suppose it's only illegal if you get caught.

Bud Helms

I suppose it's only illegal if you get caught.

Let's clarify that a bit. It's illegal if it's codified in Canadian law. You only get punished if you get caught.

Quite a different thing.

ltc444

The Canadaians do not mess around when it comes to violationa of firearms and drug laws.

I would not attempt to smuggle a pistol in. Also they are very sensitive about flare guns.

I know one driver who got stripped and body cavity searched by the Mounties going in and out of Canada. He is a doper looking fellow with a smart mouth. When he entered Canada he mouthed off. They stripped searched him. Emptied the contents of his 53 foot trailer in the middle of the parking lot with most of the boxs contents removed from their containers.

Additionally, you need to be aware of that some of our Misdemenaors are considered felonys and prohibit you from driving and possibly entering their country.

Don H

pendennis said:
Buzzcook wrote:

Quote:
Ship the guns to yourself at your cousins address.

You can only ship to an FFL or manufacturer. Shipping to the cousin would violate ATF rules.

BATF disagrees:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Actually getting a carrier to ship the firearm(s) may be another story.

Shotgun693

I was always of the opinion that Texas should have annexed Canada years ago. In the mean time you're stuck with obeying their Laws in their country.
Years ago my Father drove an RV through Canada. He had a revolver and told them so when they asked. The Mounties(?) mailed the gun to me from Canada. I guess they thought that because I was a Deputy it was OK.

bobn

take the ferry. i got stopped. tore apart pre 911 days. pain in arse. and to top it off our guys werent any better....bobn

2500ak

When I've taken the ferry up it it's always been from Bellingham to Haines.

Now, the ship Columbia (the largest one that goes between Washington and Alaska) doesn't go on to Whittier I don't think, and from Haines you still have to recross the Canadian border for just a few hundred miles, then you hit another American boarder crossing and proceed on to Tok.

It is my opinion that although there may be a way to bypass Canada altogether while shipping a car, the usual ferry route does not.

Every time I've driven the ALCAN boarder crossings have been pleasant experiences, where they just wave me through. At least on the Alaska -> Canada crossing, and the Washington -> Canada crossing. The American side will at least ask you where you're going, and maybe check your passport.

The surest way to get the rifles and handguns there is to mail them, or put them in locked, hard cases and have someone fly up with them. I would do the latter.