Driving to Alaska with gun.

PT111

I have thought about driving across country and to Alaska but all of a sudden I noticed that to drive to Alaska I would probably have to drive through Canada. If I wanted to drive to Alaska how could I carry my gun with me? I am covered by the fair transportation act all the way from SC to Washington and then while in Alaska home free. But what about crossing Canada. :eek:

stephen426

You do have to drive through Canada and you will have to go through immigration leaving the US/entering Canada and then leaving Canada/entering the US. You will be asked whether or not you are transporting weapons and an affirmative answer will most likely lead to confiscation and possibly your arrest. If you lie and they catch you by conducting a random search, you would be in big trouble. You are much more likely to have problems with border patrol then you are to need your gun in a self defense situation. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Shipping the gun to an FFL is one possibility, or just visit Wild Alaska and buy a new toy for yourself. You could always ask him to sell it on consignment if you didn't need it and lose a small amount on it. It might even be cheaper than shipping one of your guns back and forth to an FFL (and dealing with their fees).

oldcspsarge

a sporting rifle or a sporting shotgun..no problem. Just declare it crossing into Canada...forms available on line...list up to 4 guns...dont sign them until you are there !

No PISTOLS or Revolvers unless you can prove going to shoot in a match in Canada....all on the canadian website.

No AR's, FAL's etc......might be easier to ship to yourself in Alaska or use and FFL to receive and hold them.

Last edited:

Oldphart

It was a few years ago but I drove from Alaska to the lower 48. When we crossed into Canada the border guard asked about guns and I told him I had a 10/22 buried somewhere in the back of the pick-up. He just waved us through.

Wildalaska

You can bring a long gun not on their restricted list with you, pay a fee of $50 (I think), call Ottowa and arrange it in advance.

No handguns.

You can ship a gun from yourself to yourself c/o us if you like, call to make arrangements.

Wildweonlydoitlike6xaweekinthesummerAlaska TM

PT111

Thanks for all the info. This is something I want to do and definitely will if I ever hit the powerball. Evidently Canada does not want my type on their soil. :) The story about the Bus murder got me to thinking how one could do that. You would think that since I got a draft deferment while in college Canada would welcome me. Maybe if I dropped Jimmy Carter's name they would understand but I do not speak French so I do have that going against me. Can't think of anything else to make Canada like me, maybe grow my hair long, don't take a bath and wear a tie-dyed t-shirt?

A/C Guy

Little known fact about Canada

If you or a member of your traveling party has ever had a DUI, you will not be permitted to enter Canada. They are almost as bad as Mexico when it comes to finding ammo or empty (fired) cases in your vehicle. I would take the ferry and avoid Canada. I would rather spend my American dollars supporting an American business (the ferry) than spend it buying fuel in Canada.

Jim March

I find myself wondering what happens if the ferry has engine trouble or something and pulls into a Canadian port :).

But seriously, the ferry out of Seattle is THE answer.

PT111

LOL - When I used to have to take these management courses they always made us do exercises about coming up with every scenario possible. Some of you fellows would fit right in with. Sometimes I think all ya'll do is sit around figuring out some way to screw something up. :D

johnbt

"Sometimes I think all ya'll do is sit around figuring out some way to screw something up."

Nope, no figuring for me. I've been very observant during my 34 years of state government work. I never knew there were so many ways to foul stuff up. :) The secret to being productive is knowing your way through and around the system.

Remember, "BE PREPARED"

"That's the motto of the Boy Scouts.

"Be prepared for what?" someone once asked Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting,

"Why, for any old thing." said Baden-Powell." - BSA site.

PT111

state government work = oxymoron. :D I am also a state employee and I tell people not to use that word around me. Just say I am on the job and that will be sufficient. I don't want to be accused of not doing something (work) that I am supposed to.