Driving a nail in 40S&W: Conversion to 10MM

Mr.RevolverGuy

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=6728 -- video review

STI was definitely thinking outside of the box when it created the Apeiro. So why discontinue it?

Because the owner is parting ways with 40S&W he decided to keep this one and have the chamber reamed to 10MM.

To reduce recoil and increase cycling speed, STI cut a large portion out of the top of the slide and mounted the front sight on the barrel, island cutout. This increased the barrel weight and decreased the weight of the slide. As a result, there is more weight retained at the end of the gun and less weight when the slide recoils to the rear. In the right hands this increases speed and tames the 40S&W and 10MM. This setup increased my ability to stay on target and is the fastest I have ever fired 10MM accurately.

The front sight is a fiber-optic unit, while the rear is a completely adjustable BoMar sight. STI didn’t neglect the look of this gun either, with Sabre serrations on the slide making for a positive grip when racking the slide and a two-tone look.

DSC01812.jpg

Last edited:
I guess it's true that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Considering that STI used to say in their ads that "Life is too short to own an ugly gun," they make some of the ugliest 1911-ish pistols I have ever laid eyes on.

So why did STI discontinue the Apeiro? Your post, and the article, asks the question, but I didn't see an answer.

Jim Watson

STI has been discontinuing models left and right and bringing in funky looking new guns. They think they can sell more defense and duty guns, they even have a Texas Ranger deal.
Everybody and his brother is making 2011 raceguns with iron handles, I guess STI figured they had to find new markets.

Forte S+W

The only thing that looks worse on a 1911 than an empty picatiny rail is a full-length dust cover.

It just kills the look for me and somehow manages to make the gun look cheaper, less like a 1911, more like the offspring of a Ruger P Series pistol and a Smith & Wesson Sigma. STI's prices certainly don't help the matter either, charging a ton of money for a firearm that looks deceptively cheap.

Last edited:

JDBerg

Aguila Blanca: said:
Considering that STI used to say in their ads that "Life is too short to own an ugly gun," they make some of the ugliest 1911-ish pistols I have ever laid eyes on.

I wouldn’t trade my 9mm STI Trojan for any “prettier” 1911, this is the best 9mm pistol I own, so I can live with the Glock slide serrations. My friends “ugly” STI Spartan V .45 ACP is the best new $639.00 1911 I’ve ever shot anyway, I hope he sells it to me if & when he goes nuts & decides to sell it!

Lohman446

The 10MM is not driving the nail into the coffin of the 40. STI and it’s limited production is not either. How many guns do they even sell a year? Let me know when the “big boys” such as Glock, SIG, FN, etc quit producing 40. Considering some countries ban the 9MM for civilian use and the 40 is an obvious substitute I doubt it’s ever going to go away. I say that being far from a fan of the 40

silvermane_1

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=6728 -- video review

STI was definitely thinking outside of the box when it created the Apeiro. So why discontinue it?

Because the owner is parting ways with 40S&W he decided to keep this one and have the chamber reamed to 10MM.

To reduce recoil and increase cycling speed, STI cut a large portion out of the top of the slide and mounted the front sight on the barrel, island cutout. This increased the barrel weight and decreased the weight of the slide. As a result, there is more weight retained at the end of the gun and less weight when the slide recoils to the rear. In the right hands this increases speed and tames the 40S&W and 10MM. This setup increased my ability to stay on target and is the fastest I have ever fired 10MM accurately.

The front sight is a fiber-optic unit, while the rear is a completely adjustable BoMar sight. STI didn’t neglect the look of this gun either, with Sabre serrations on the slide making for a positive grip when racking the slide and a two-tone look.

DSC01812.jpg
Does that STI have a polymer frame?

rodfac

To each his own...but that machining on the slide plus the checkering on the 'squared off' trigger guard, with the hammer head sized mag well flare when added to the full length dust cover makes it one incredibly ugly pistol IMHO.
YMMv and probably does. Rod