Drifting sight on Springfield XD

Is there some kind of trick to drifting these sights.

A while back I tried to drift the front sight on my XD and it never budged.

I had the gun vised down and used a punch. The metal on the sight base began to slightly deform so I gave it up.

I have never had problems drifting sights on any gun I have ever owned.

I am completely stumped.

Alleykat

Go to xdtalk.com, and you'll see that even gunsmiths have a horrible time drifting XD sights, even with proper tools. Glocks, on the other hand, are much easier to work on. :D

Thanks

Well I read a thread on it and that is kinda lousy. To basically either order a tool from springfield or have a professional drift the sight for you.

Aside from that I love my XD. I guess I will just have to keep the bullseye over the gap between the front post and the right edge of the rear notch.

Last edited:

Alleykat

If both the front and rear sights are centered, then chances are, the problem is that the nut behind the trigger needs a little adjustment. ;)

teeroux

The trick is a 1/8th steel punch and a bigger hammer.

When you get it out stone smooth the goobers and stone the base of the sight till it goes on halfway. Remove the sight and clean it and the dovetail and cold blue the stoned areas. Then insert the sight drifting it in place with brass punch or something nonmarring, and apply a generous amount of red thread locker around the installed sight and wipe away excess wait a couple of hours before firering.

Bigjim3

Those sights arent made to be moved. The End... The slide is heated inorder to put the sights on. They will come off. You will have them chewed up or more brass marks on them. it will glow in the dark. Dont try to drift carry to your Trusted gunsmith. let him correct the problem maybe file fit some new nite sites on for ya. (Sig sights work)