Dressing around your CCW - Do's and Dont's

rantingredneck

I thought we could all share our experiences in choosing clothing for CCW. Some may think this has been done to death, but I haven't seen anything on it in awhile and I have two observations I can offer to start the discussion:

1) Don't try to pocket carry anything in Old Navy brand shorts.

I don't know what it is about the stuff they wash their clothes in to make it look coolly aged but it really disagrees with the material their pockets are made of. I've had several pockets rip open on their clothes over the years, but had never thought about the pocket carry thing until this past Thursday evening. I was heading to the local stop-n-rob to pick up some milk and went to slip my Guardian and pocket holster in my pocket. It hit the floor at my feet. Pocket ripped right apart. I can only imagine if that had actually happened in the stop-n-rob and not in my foyer.

2) Columbia Sportswear ROC (rugged outdoor chino) pants are excellent for hauling tons of gear around in.

They've got a second right side front pocket behind the first. It zippers closed and is great for stashing a pocket BUG. They also have nice sized leg pockets that will hold a nice large folder and small flashlight (minimag or inova). You can carry a load of stuff and not look like you are carrying. Their belt loops are also nicely positioned for a OWB belt slide.

Any other fashion tips for the CCW crowd? :D

I like that you mentioned the belt loops... Ive noticed that "some" of my jeans have loops positioned for my favorite 3:30 position, & "some" that don't

I have a nice Galco for my 44 Special that I carry outside waist band, but under belt... I have to be a bit choosy when it comes to jeans & the position of the belt loops...

also seems there are light weight fabrics for shirts that seem to print less than others... almost seems to be by fabric kind, rather than the weight of the fabric...

AK103K

Flowered contact paper can help color coordinate your holster with your Speedo and make it less obvious. Or you can just hide your gun in your "Dunlop" if your from Ontario. :)

Dwight55

Them ten dollar jeans at Wally world have a front pocket perfect for my Bersa Thunder .380 that I sometimes carry.

Belt loops are also in the right place for my 3:30 position 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight

Kreyzhorse

"Busy" patterned shirts will hide just about any thing. I pulled off my Glock 22last weekend and my buddy, who also has a CCW, had no idea I went big. I look at it as, the louder the shirt, the louder the gun under it.

AK103K

You dont need flashy colors or patterns to pull it off, a plain, oxford type shirt works well too.

I've carried full sized handguns under one daily for years without issue.

I also think its more about how comfortable you are and how you carry yourself than what you wear. Dress like you always do, with minor changes as needed, and its a lot less noticeable than wearing things you normally dont, especially only when your wearing your gun.

The best way to figure it out, it to carry everyday, year round, and go about your daily business.

Oh, and avoid anything sold as concealed carry clothing. That stuff stands out worse than those Hawaiian shirts. :)

sholling

Oh, and avoid anything sold as concealed carry clothing. That stuff stands out worse than those Hawaiian shirts.
True for vests and fanny packs, but you don't like Coronado Leather coats?

rantingredneck

I'm also not a Hawaiian shirt fan. I like dark solid color polos or buttondowns untucked. I have a Columbia vest that also doesn't scream "Gun". Well maybe to hardcore gunnies like a lot of the guys here it would, but to the average Joe Citizen, I don't think so. If I have to go tucked in the summer then it's pocket carry for me. Those ROC pants are thick enough that the gun doesn't print at all. I also have ROC shorts for the summer. :).

My wife says I'm becoming a label wh*re. I just tell her their clothes conceal better than others. To which she just rolls her eyes.

Darker conceals better than lighter colors
Busy patterns conceal better than plain
Thicker fabric conceals better than thin

Busy dark patterns on thick material does wonders.

I also avoid wearing gun-related shirts, caps, etc. most of the time. Wearing a Glock perfect untucked t-shirt is comfortable and the black shirt hides things fairly well, but the word GLOCK sort of tips your hand. You may be concealed and legal, but not necessarily clandestine.

johnbt

"Columbia Sportswear ROC (rugged outdoor chino) pants are excellent for hauling tons of gear around in."

I've been wearing them for years and they hold up well. The front pocket easily holds a Rohrbaugh and the zippered side pocket is good for all sorts of stuff.

Columbia makes some great shorts, too. I like the ones with the 2 flap pockets over the front pockets.

John

jimcorbin

Pants

5.11 makes jeans with the inside firearm pocket. I also have a Sigarms Concealed Jacket for winter. I like them both.

XIII

1) Don't try to pocket carry anything in Old Navy brand shorts.

I find a lot of the cargo shorts that fit me well dont have deep enough (or durable enough) pockets. And pocket carry down here during the summer is almost required when you are a big sweaty guy like me. So I open up the pockets and sew them (and by "I", I mean my girlfriend) up with deniem I have cut from the legs of old jeans I dont wear anymore. This both reinforces the whole pocket with durable deniem but also alows me to adjust the size and shape to better fit my pocket holsters. It takes all of 20 minutes. I have a pair of baggy old navy cargo shorts that I did this too a couple of years ago that I carry a mid size glock in (larger and heavier than the avg. pocket carry) that are no worse for wear then the day they were modified. Just my 2 cents.

Big Calhoun

Oxfords and poplins usually work pretty well and can be adapted to a variety of situations.
Plaid patterns work well also, short sleeve or long sleeve.
IMO, split yokes, spread collars, and linen are all bad juju, especially for shoulder carry.
Multiple holsters and/or multiple carry weapons can help you adapt to just about any situation.

I typically wear oxfords with button-down collars and that works perfectly for shoulder carry. The shirts can usually be worn in both formal and informal situations. For the excessively hot days, a polo (untucked) or plaid short sleeve shirt, and an OWB work just as well.

Ranger325

"Busy" patterned shirts will hide just about any thing.

They will also make you look like you have 0 style, but hey I guess that's the trade off you make"

Hey....................that is my style!! :D

Regards,

gordo_gun_guy

Lime green leisure suit

70's carry must have rocked--a nickel Colt Python strong-side under the leisure suit jacket (hung on a super-wide belt), and a Detonics on the ankle under the bell-bottoms!

Seriously, Levis "boot cut", "relaxed fit" jeans hide big ankle guns and have roomy front pockets. In T-shirt weather, I often go with 2 Kel-tecs: a P-9 with night sights on the ankle, and a P-3AT in the front pocket. I don't think of them as primary and backup as much as seated vs standing--the pcoket gun is no player while driving, dining, at the movies; but it's the favorite while shopping because (as they say) the fastest draw from concealment is the one with your hand already on the gun. (He who stands on street corner with hand in pocket may be playing with his mouse gun!)

Mannlicher

One consideration is to find one of those 'alteration' shops, and talk to the seamstress. There are many things that can be done to your clothes, that will make them more CCW friendly.
Putting in deeper, and stronger pockets, changing where the belt loops are on your pants, adding a strip to the inside of the waistband to strengthen it.

You might just be surprised by how knowledgable and helpful these shops can be.

Kreyzhorse

"Busy" patterned shirts will hide just about any thing.

Busy shirts are kind of a trademark of mine. What can I say, I refuse to follow the crowd and my wife encourages it. At this point though, I never tuck my shirt in on weekends and that has drawn the ire of my wife. She says I now look like a total old man in a busy shirt untucked. Next thing you know, I'll be wearing sandals with socks. White socks.