Dremel tools ROCK!

BirdieShooter

Oh yeah!

I have repaired race cars in Mexico, boats in Baldwin, fire trucks in Kalamazoo, firearms of all types, farm equipment, household work, of course my own autos and so much other stuff I can't even begin to remember. I give out Dremel tools as presents to good friends. I could be a walking, talking, ranting and raving Dremel ad. Hmmmm...... I wonder if I could get paid for that?:D

FrankenMauser

When you start using it to modify old tools, for new jobs, you'll really be paying homage to the Dremel gods.

After I had to make my first tool, I started saving old, broken, and worn out stuff (sockets, allen wrenches, drill bits, etc.). (I needed a Macintosh "Case Cracker". It's about 14" long, with a 5/32" five-pointed-star, safety bit tip. Not wanting to spend the $40 for a one time use tool, I modified a few beat up tools with success.)

qcpunk

I have found very few situations which could not be handled by a Dremel, and only the occasional situations which may require more torque.

fastforty

I use a belt drive dental handpiece for most of what I do, FAR superior to a Dremel. I know, $1,000 is a bit steep for a hobby tool but it's paid for itself many times over with the 10's of 1,000's of teeth that I've made with it (I've been a dental lab tech for the last 25 years fabricating gold & porcelain crowns and bridges). I do have one of the little rechargable Dremels that goes in my tool, tackle or shooting box wherever I go, just can't live without a spinny thing when you make your living with one. Man, you'd see grown men cry if I posted a pic of the rotary tooling that is in my top workbench drawer :p

dabigguns357

I to love the dremmel tool.I have polished 4 barrels to stainless,rounded 2 Glock trigger guards,5 S&W slides to a mirror finish,2 revolvers to a high bright finish and 1 Glock slide to a nice stainless finish.Heck i killed my portable dremmel so i went out and bought a corded version.Now if i could find polishing heads without buying a bunch of extra stuff i'de be even happier.
005-2.jpg

Picture227.jpg

SiNNiK

BirdieShooter

I have repaired race cars in Mexico, boats in Baldwin, fire trucks in Kalamazoo, firearms of all types, farm equipment, household work, of course my own autos and so much other stuff I can't even begin to remember. I give out Dremel tools as presents to good friends. I could be a walking, talking, ranting and raving Dremel ad. Hmmmm...... I wonder if I could get paid for that?

Dang, and here all I've been doing with it was filing down my dog's nails.

"I have done 3 trigger jobs in the past 2 days with this thing. I love it : )"

Oh. My. God.

I really hope that you are joking.

Lavid2002

Oh. My. God.

I really hope that you are joking.

Nope

Take the trigger out, pop on one of the cloth wheels with some polishing compound. Polish all the contacting surfaces : D

The best. I also used it to smooth out the contacting points of the gun to give it a really smooth feel. Like an instant break in

brickeyee

Take the trigger out, pop on one of the cloth wheels with some polishing compound. Polish all the contacting surfaces

Moore like round off corners that should be square and create uneven surfaces that should be flat.

Keep anything but stones away from hammer hooks.

ZeSpectre

They have there uses but trigger jobs are not one of them !!
Nonsense. I've used my Dremel, cotton wheels, and flitz polish to shine up many triggers over the years. Enough grit to give a nice polish but not hardly enough to remove enough metal to cause damage.

The dremel tool is a funny thing. If, like me, you've been using one in fine-scale model building for more than 20 years, then it can be the best thing since sliced bread. On the other hand if you are ham-fisted and have no idea about the power and behavior of a dremel tool you can most certainly screw things up faster than you can possibly imagine.

Much like guns, it's the finger behind the trigger that makes all the difference.

brickeyee

shine up many triggers

It is not clear if these are actual working surfaces or things like finger contact areas.

If metal is being polished some metal is being removed.

Things like a 1911 full cock shelf on the hammer are barely 0.020 deep.

Doing anything to that shelf without hard tools to maintain shape is asking for trouble.

knight0334

I just bought my 3rd Dremel tool last weekend.

I've worn out 2 in the last 20 years from usage. ...from porting small engine to bigblock cylinder heads to gun work to everything else.

They have to be one of the top inventions ever made. lol