Dream gun, pistol department

BlueTrain

Both the tread about what happened to Colt and the thread about dream guns got me thinking, a rare event in itself.

Probably lots of people would like to see Colt reintroduce both the pre-war pocket auto and the .380 Government Model and all of the variations. How about a .380 Government Model with a longer barrel? And in both .380 and .32 ACP, as long as we're wishing. And in any finish?

The pre-war .380 and .32 Colt pocket autos were probably the best designed for concealed carry of just about any I can think of, while the .380 Government Model (in any finish) was the softest shooting pistol above a .22 rimfire of anything I've fired. But I thought it would be better, a little better anyway, with a longer barrel. And it ought to have some sort of semi-concealed hammer, like on some of the old Savage autos, to cover that end. While the old .380 was pretty smooth, I wouldn't go any further. You still have to hold onto it. A refinished pocket auto I had was almost too slick to retract the slide.

Just a thought, a dream if you will. I probably wouldn't buy one if they offered one (probably couldn't afford it). Some of the pre-war .380 and .32 automatics were a little like that but they were mostly blowbacks. Perhaps the .380 Government Model was too expensive to make for what they could sell it for. Mostly I wonder why barrels keep getting shorter.

Slopemeno

So...maybe a 1903/1908 based on the .380 Government? Uses existing tooling and mags, etc..Has a firing pin safety.

BlueTrain

That's the general idea. But I have no idea what sort of tooling exists at Colt (and never did) but if Singer could make .45 autos in WWII, Colt should be able to make such a gun, wouldn't you think?

aarondhgraham

Wow, a dream pistol for me?,,,

It would be based completely on looks,,
Because they make my dream pistol(s) as far as performance goes.

Those are:
Browning HiPower
CZ-75B

IMHO the three sexiest pistols on the market are:
Beretta open-top models (92, 86, 87)
Walther PP series
Whitney Wolverine

I was recently reading about the Tokarev 7.62 x 25 cartridge,,,
.30 Caliber (.31?) coming out at approximately 1,500 fps,,,
I Like that!

So make me a pistol:
Shaped and sized just like either the Beretta Cheetah or Walther PPK,,,