drawing a corollary between dogs & guns

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Just read this e-mail ....

"This letter to the editor ran in The Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera on Saturday, June 10, 2000. I thought at first it was one of the many pro or con dogs on trails letters our local rag publishes. When I finished it, I was laughing so hard I nearly spilled my coffee on my German shepherd and the kitten sleeping between her paws.

DOGS

Making sure kids are safe

According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year. Of these, approximately 800,000 people require medical attention, and an average of 12 people die. The study indicates that a disproportionate number of those bitten are children, and that children are frequently bitten on the face, resulting in severe lacerations, infection and disabilities.

I am outraged How can an enlightened society allow this situation to continue?

Dogs are carnivores, and created to kill and maim. In the past dogs were useful, providing protection for isolated farms and homesteads, herding cattle and sheep, and as hunting companions for people who depended on game for subsistence.

Now we are protected by the police, cattle are herded with ATV's, and we get our meat from the super market. They no longer serve any useful function in our society, and should be banned except for military and police use. I realize that a lot of people are responsible dog owners, but the statistics on child injuries due to dog bites indicate that too many people are not. Obviously, as a responsible society, we cannot allow this condition to continue.

First we should ban all mongrels and cheap dogs. These mixed breed dogs are often of unpredictable temperament, and are usually acquired by young people, and the less stable members of society.

All dogs originally bred for military, and other aggressive use, should be banned and destroyed. These dogs have no place in modern society, and cannot be used for
duck hunting. All dogs and dog owners should be licensed, and registered in a national database, so we can be certain that irresponsible and aggressive people don't get dogs, and that bad dogs are destroyed.

All dogs should be sold with muzzles and leashes, and be required to be safely stored in locked cages when not in the immediate control of their owners.

Dog owners who want to take their dogs out in public should be required to attend training classes, and be certified that they are capable of controlling their dogs at all times.

Anyone caught with an illegal, or unlicensed dog should go to jail.

I believe all reasonable people will agree that our first responsibility is the safety of our children, and that any slight inconvenience caused by these rules is worth it if it saves one child. In any case, the ownership of dogs is not protected by the Bill of Rights.
>
> GUNNER KAERSVANG
> Boulder

See the original at http://www.bouldernews.com/opinion/letters/10elett.html

I've heard of guns and cars compared, but guns and dogs - this is a first.

--
Sam

HCI: the organization that would rather see a woman dead in an alley with her pantyhose knotted around her neck than see her with a gun in her hand."

J

Jeff, CA

The author is being facetious, but he should be careful what he wishes for - this kind of thing is already happening. Many cities have outlawed the ownership of certain breeds, based on nothing more [edit]than [/edit] a reputation.

[This message has been edited by Jeff, CA (edited June 11, 2000).]

Roybean

I love it. I'm going to pass this on to as many of my friends as I can. Hopefully it may help some see the light.

The other day I came across another statistic from the University of Michigan dated 2/10/2000 indicating that doctors kill 98,000 patients a year I believe. I try to double check and get the site. I initially read it in a legal publication and after finding the newspaper article on Northernlights.com downloaded.

For some reason society looks at deaths from a handgun different than a death from swimming, bike riding or some other event.

Looking at statistics one will find that one is more likely to be murdered from cutting and stabbing instruments than rifles and shotguns combined.

Another interesting fact is that alcohol accounts for over 100,000 deaths per year and 25% of all hospitalized patients have alcohol related problems.

Glad you posted this info.

Blueyedog

The author did forget to mention the easy access of most dogs. Stray ones can be picked up on the street without a background check. Go to your local human society and for a small fee and just a little paper work you can have one for as little as $70, with no waiting period! And don't even get me started on those evil dogshows ...

I love it! Thanks, labgrade. :D

------------------
Refuse to be a "helpless" victim.
Knowing Your Rights WAGC in Indiana
Come have some fun at theTFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

C.R.Sam

Chihuahua = small, inexpensive, saturdaynight specials. Bred only to do harm obviously because they have no hunting value.

Sam...the old one