Drawback to wet tumbling before depriming.

maillemaker

So yesterday I finished wet tumbling all my used brass for my .45ACP. It came out looking great.

Unfortunately, when I deprimed some, the primer pocket is wet! Obviously I can't run these through a progressive reloader as it will deprime and then prime and charge a bullet with a wet, gooey priming pocket!

I'd hate to run them all through my progressive reloader just to deprime them, but I might have to.

I was thinking of perhaps baking them in an oven at 100 degrees or something to try and cook the water out.

What do you think?

Steve

jepp2

Most ovens don't have a setting for 100 degrees F. So you will have to "cycle" the oven to maintain that temperature.

It will take a LONG time to dry the water at 100 F. This is because the moisture is trapped in a small cavity with only the flash hole for it to escape. I would run the oven at 200 F (near the boiling point of water) to flash the moisture much quicker. Still well below the annealing temperature, but you don't want to go too high. Set them with the base down and open end of the brass up.

snuffy

The title of your thread should just end right after "drawback to wet tumbling" Is that it's WET! Oh, and it takes much longer than dry tumbling because it's wet, you have to allow time for them to dry.

As for a 100 degree oven, yup, that will work. Just don't ever use that oven to cook food again. The lead in the cases just might contaminate anything cooked in it,(lead styphonate),(it's in the spent primers).

maillemaker

Darn, I had not thought about lead contaminating the oven.

Well, right now I have all my boxes of brass sitting in front of a space heater. :)

Steve

mete

Deprime first ! Then boil in water with detergent. Then dry . Annealing starts about 450 F .At 100 F it takes a long time to dry !! Much faster above 212 F . I put them in a collander at 350 F.

maillemaker

Old clothes driers can make good tumblers - I used to use an old gas one to tumble my chain maille armour. Don't hook it up to gas (obviously) and the motor runs on standard 110.

I don't think it would be a good idea to tumble bullets in a drier meant for clothes, though, as you will get lead and soot all in your drier that will be coming off on clothes you run through it.

Steve

zippy13

+1 to uzimon
A hair dryer works great to desiccate the nooks and crannies of black powder revolvers that have been washed in water -- why not wet primers, too?

jepp2

hair dryer

If you happen to decide to go the hair dryer route, recognize the duty cycle of most hair dryers doesn't allow for extended operation. Most are designed for the short cycles of drying a person's hair. If you leave them on for extended time periods, they will burn out.

rattletrap1970

I put my brass in a drawstring military laundry bag after ultrasonic cleaning it. Then I put it in the dryer with a half dozen old towels that I keep in a tote just for this purpose. The extra towels keep the bag from beating up the dryer and keeps the noise down. Works very well.

maillemaker

Why wet tumble in the first place? Are the cases muddy or something?

I like the idea of wet tumbling because I saw a post about it here and it turned out great. :) Also, soap is easier to buy locally than corn cob or walnut media.

Also, wet tumbling cuts down on lead dust.

Steve

Adamantium

The thing is though brass doesn't need to be perfectly polished, just clean. Sometimes people take presentation beyond the point where it actually helps. For years I didn't even tumble, I just washed the brass in my sink with soap and scrubbed it with a green scrubby pad. Worked perfectly fine.

If wet tumbling is what you want, I'd recommend with others to de-prime and let dry before moving on with the reloading process.

Also unless you live way out in the country most if not all pet stores sell both corn cob and walnut media.

jepp2

Also, soap is easier to buy locally than corn cob or walnut media.

50 pounds of corn cob for $22 delivered. You will spend more on soap cleaning the amount of brass that amount of corn cob will clean.