Dragoon or Walker???

kirpi97

I am looking to the BP enthusiast for help with my next purchase. I have enough for only one, but I want two. So which BP revolver is a better deal for the same monies, same condition. The Walker or the Dragoon? What are the pros and cons? I am not concerned about the collect ability or the makers only the revolver itself. The load and the discharging of the firearm. So if you have both styles, which do you prefer? And if you own either one, what do like about it or don't like?

I am hoping that through you, I can save some money and enjoy the world of the big loads. Thanks.

CraigC

My preference would be the Dragoon strictly because the loading lever latches down. Pick the variation you like best, I like the 3rd model for the round triggerguard. First choice would be to drive the 120miles to Dixie Gun Works so I could inspect it first. Otherwise, I'd probably order it from Cimarron.

mykeal

First of all, I own two of each:
P1140022.jpg

The substantive differences:
The Walker is significantly heavier with a longer barrel and cylinder. The frames, including the grips, are the same size. The weight is a disadvantage when trying to hold on a target, but an advantage in that it reduces perceived recoil. Although the grips are the same size the Dragoon is easier to shoot one handed.

The Dragoon loading lever has a better designed latch which almost eliminates problems with the lever dropping down when the gun is fired.

The Walker holds close to 10 grains more powder. It is also more accurate at heavy loads; that is, 45 grains to a Walker is not a maximum load, and it will be more accurate at that load than a Dragoon, in which 45 grains is a max load. That said, the Walker will use powder faster and is thus more expensive to shoot.

The longer Walker barrel (by 1 1/2") provides a longer sight radius and can thus be aimed more accurately, in theory.

Smokin_Gun

Well about all I can say is I have both, got my Colt Signature 1st Model Dragoon 2005, and the only thing that stopped me from getting the Walker were alot of holster Revolvers. I just got my walker in November. It's hard to choose between um as they are simular but much differant guns. You'll be more likely to holter carry the Dragoon than the Walker depending on your structure/build. I'll leave it at that...I'll not sell either as I like u both better but differant.
11-14-08_1535.jpg

SG

kirpi97

Now I see why I can't decide. Them with both, extol the virtues of both without a commitment either way. Those with one or the other, but not both, side with the one they have. And them with neither are split.

I guess this comes down to a coin flip. Heads I buy the Dragoon and tails it is the Walker. Or should it be the other way?:confused:

Thanks for the considerations. I am off to the back room to flip the coin.:D

pohill

I had both but I recently sold the Dragoon. It was a great gun but I can get the same shooting experience from my Ruger Old Army or a hot-loaded 1860 44 Colt. The Dragoon is more of an everyday shooter than a Walker (the Walker uses more powder, is heavier, uses the same sized balls).
If I were to have only one BP revolver, a Walker or a Dragoon, I'd probably go with the Dragoon.
But I have (too) many and the Walker is unique.

CraigC

You probably just need to decide which to get first. I'm sure you'll end up with both, I know I will. I just wanna get the 3rd Dragoon first.

Smokin_Gun

I like the Grip of the Walker better and balance of the Dragoon...the next Biggun I procure will be a Whitneyville Dragoon if I can find one...they have the grip of a Walker being the first Dragoon made but the balance and weight of the Dragoon.

SG

Hoss Fly

PHP:
I am looking to the BP enthusiast for help with my next purchase. I have enough for only one, but I want two. So which BP revolver is a better deal for the same monies, same condition. The Walker or the Dragoon? What are the pros and cons? I am not concerned about the collect ability or the makers only the revolver itself. The load and the discharging of the firearm. So if you have both styles, which do you prefer? And if you own either one, what do like about it or don't like?

I am hoping that through you, I can save some money and enjoy the world of the big loads. Thanks.

If i may ask- Why are these the only two models of C&B revolvers you are concidering :confused:

Blankwaffe

I'd have to agree with Smokin gun's comments above.The Whitneyville Dragoon does have the best feel to it of all the Dragoons Ive handled.I much prefer the Walkers grip frame and thats the difference as mentioned.Looks better too IMHO.
That being said the Walker is nice as well.It has a little bit more weight to it but overall the feel of the Walker is similar to the Whitneyville Dragoon.About half a pound difference or so and about a inch and a half longer.Not much difference really.
About the only place Ive found that has a Whitneyville Dragoon in stock is Cimarron.Midwayusa will have some in march.Otherwise no luck in finding one.
Just about everybody Ive looked at has a Walker.In fact a local gunshop had a Uberti Walker in stock and I could not resist buying it today.
Dixie gunworks has all the Dragoons in stock except for the Whitneyville.
So availability comes in to play if your in a hurry.Otherwise I'd say you will be happy with any of the models if your looking for a horse pistol.

will52100

I'll second the Whitneyville dragoon, I've got a pair of them and a pair of walkers, the dragoons get more trigger time. As for the loading leaver falling down, I've had that trouble with both guns, easy enough to fix with a needle file and some patience, though with the walkers I now have to use a screw driver or something to push the spring back to let the leaver fall down. They were my main match guns for a while and I didn't want them falling down at the wrong time.

The Whitneyvilles are cool in that the originals were made from leftover walker parts to correct some of the problems of the walkers, namely shorting the cylinder and barrel and an improved loading lever latch.

AdmiralB

I have a Walker and a 3rd Dragoon (civilian version).

If I had to part with one, I'd keep the Dragoon. Aside from the conversation-piece aspect, I think it's a better gun.

Dingoboyx

Like CraigC said

You are going to end up with both, why fight it :D You have 2 hands, one should be stronger (Walker side) than the other (Dragoon side) :D

Just look for either, whicjever comes up first at the right price, jump on it..... then look for the other at a good price too.....

And get any thoughts of just getting 2 out of your head as well.... you will need a couple of ROA's & 1858 Remingtons as well at least :eek::D

Walker has the biggest powder payload- the flip side is, it's heavy.\

Dragoon holds about 10 grains less powder, and a little lighter, easier to handle.

Personally I'd want one of each. If I had to choose just one, get the Walker. They seem to hold their value the best of all the BP Colt pattern guns.

madcratebuilder

There is a difference in the grip frames, the Walker is slimmer. A very different feel. For me it's a toss up between a Walker and a 3rd model fluted Dragoon.