DPMS sportical & Mini 14

vikingextreme93

With all the people comparing the Mini to an AR I am just wondering if to truly compare these rifles would the Sportical not be the best comparison to a Mini? they are close in terms of pricing, the Sprotical does not have chrome lining and is really bare bones. Just curious how people think these compare.

DnPRK

I've had several several ARs and three Mini-14s.

Add a free float tube and the Sportical will out shoot 99% of Mini-14s.

olyinaz

You can tweak a Mini as well.

Yes, the comparison you make is more valid than most Mini/AR comparos.

That said, as much as I love the Mini it is now over priced. It should be a $500 rifle and in that case it would fill a niche. I remember when ARs were $1000+ and Minis were $400 or less. That was a no brainer. As it stands today I agree with most other shooters - just get an AR and be done with it.

Oly

vikingextreme93

See originally I was looking at the mini because I am a big ruger fan but the cost for the accuracy throws me off. Personally I am not really even thinking to hard on the sportical, I got my eye on a Smith & Wesson flat top.

Lloyd Smale

I own a sprotical and have owned 6 minis in the past and wouldnt trade my sportical for two minis. My sprotical has proven to be a moa shooter and never misses a beat. Its light weight make me grab it more then any other ar i have.

blume357

Then get the new Mini is my vote

Us Ruger fans need to keep together....

I wish I could afford a new one (I have 2 ARs by the way)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I'm mostly a hunter, so only the first shot or two is important. The Mini 14 is as good for that as any other rifle. With mine, the first shot always reliably went to the intended point of aim--which was rough on coyotes and jackrabbits. Groups on paper have never been particularly important, once the rifle was sighted in.

point of aim/ point of impact coincidence at spitting distance. No AR can do that.

Reliability is off the chart with the mini-14. You can shoot the gun for thousands of rounds without breaking it down for cleaning. Just run a boresnake a few times through the bore and chamber every so often.

Bamashooter

the AR might be a better gun than the mini but i dont think the sportical is. new mini's shoot very good. i think as good if not better than a sportical. mini's are famous for reliability so i would have to think that it is better than the sportical. with an accustrut and a couple other upgrades my mini shoots moa, i doubt a sportical could do that, but i could be wrong. no foward assist or dust cover on the sportical. if i was gonna buy an AR i would at least get a real one.

Lloyd Smale

best load out of my sportical goes into 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. Load is with ramshot terminator and a 60 grain vmax. Many loads go into an inch and the worse ones go into 1.5. I have 6 other ars and my sportical is every bit as accurate as any of them and just as reliable so far. In my opinion its every bit as good as my bushmaster or stag. Reason there so much cheaper is theres no ejection port cover or forward assist on them and they dont come with a carry handle or sights and dont have chrome lined barrels.

alaskaman94

i have both, i love my sportical... wasnt actuly looking for an inexpencive AR but a light AR. the sportical is a great gun. as far as controls mini wins flat out.much easer to operate. as for acuracy i have an 80yard range at my house and bouth keep minute of postitnote but the sporticals keeps um a tad bit more in the middle. dont buy the AR just because of the hype they have these days. there both great guns but pick the one bust suited for YOU!