DPMS "Prairie Panther"

mdd

I came across this rifle a while back and actually like it quite a bit. This thread isn't about DPMS quality or any of that. I've owned two of them and they are suitable for what I ask of them. However, I have questions about this rifle.
First of all, I prefer lighter bullets for my coyote hunting. I have a pretty good stockpile of hornady vmax 40 grain bullets waiting to be loaded up. What would the 1:8 twist of the barrel on this rifle think of the 40's I prefer to shoot? I started shooting the 40's because my bolt 223 has a 1:12 twist and, as it turns out, I really like the performance of the 40's on coyotes.

Also, just to be honest, I like the accoutrements of the prairie panther. I like the overall setup (fixed stock, oversized trigger guard for gloved finger, etc) & a couple of the camo patterns they offer. Does anyone know about the durability of their camo finish?

I do not like their price tag. Is it possible to source components with a similar camo finish? Figure that way I could save a few bucks, choose the barrel I want if the 1:8 won't work with my chosen bullets, and learn something about the rifle while assembling it.

Thanks,
Michael

mrawesome22

Probably way too fast a twist for those 40 grainers. Rpm's on the bullet would probably have them coming apart in flight.

AZAK

What would the 1:8 twist of the barrel on this rifle think of the 40's I prefer to shoot?

The barrel would not mind at all. The bullets on the other hand...

According to my Speer reloading manual, with a 1:7 twist traveling at 3,200 fps the bullet is rotating at almost a third of a million rpm (330,000 rpm) and 40 grain varmint bullets are not made for this rotational speed and tend to be, "literally ripped apart as they leave the barrel."(p.196 Speer Reloading Manual #14)

By my best guess, probably not what the 40 grainers are meant for; more like 1:12, and that is what I shoot them out of.

mdd

That's exactly what I expected the answer would be regarding the bullet rpm given the high(er) muzzle velocity and fast twist. I suppose I could order the rifle with a slower twist barrel but that would simply add to the price of an already overpriced rifle. At ~$1300 msrp and a gunbroker price of ~$1000, I will probably pass on this one even though I like it.

I am still interested to know if the camo pattern components are available individually so I could piece together my own version of it at a lesser price.