DPMS Oricle or S&W MP-15 sport

adamBomb

You should be looking at PSA. A much nicer rifle in the same price range.

Agreed. I just got a PSA for $500 and it has all of the features of a Colt. Shipping took about a week and that was with black friday and the xmas rush. I think with 5 magazines and shipping it was like $550 total.

rcase1234

An Oracle was my first AR (still have it) and that thing has never missed a beat for me. The only issue is it is a bare bones AR and I changed a lot of things out on it so I have more into it than what I care to admit. However, I did buy this when I was an AR noob and didn't know much about them and nowadays I would highly recommend anything from PSA. Good luck with your purchase and stock up on mags and ammo

Quentin2

An Oracle was my first AR (still have it) and that thing has never missed a beat for me. The only issue is it is a bare bones AR and I changed a lot of things out on it so I have more into it than what I care to admit. However, I did buy this when I was an AR noob and didn't know much about them and nowadays I would highly recommend anything from PSA. Good luck with your purchase

This is an important post. It's wise to compare as many ARs as you can. Online and in person. Two brands isn't enough! Handle as many as you can and understand the various features. Especially barrels - twist rate, material, weight, length, profile, gas system and gas length, sights, etc. But that's only the beginning, BCG, receivers, rails/handguards, buffers, buffer tubes, stocks and more. There's a lot to wrap your mind around but it's a lot of fun for those who put time into big purchases. In fact that's why so many build their own AR.

It is very easy to double the price of an entry level AR with upgrades you don't know you really want at initial purchase. Knowing yourself and knowing what comes with many brands and models will make you much happier with the rifle you eventually buy.

PSA definitely should be a brand you look at. You can configure one exactly like you want. But put in adequate research first or you will be making major changes that won't be cheap.

rcase1234

From what I can tell, nearly everyone buys an AR and then why try out different furniture or accessories so in the end, something gets changed or a new rifle is bought. Don't single out any AR's and try and get what YOU want.

chris in va

I've had a Sport a few years now, no issues. However it sits in the safe while the CZ 5.56 carbine goes with me every range trip.

AR carbines just turn money into noise IMO. I reload so every single round I make needs to mean something, not just end up in the dirt.

Ibmikey

I have a couple of Sports and out of twenty five AR's they get more range time than one would expect. Why is this ? Mainly because of the fact that they just shoot, and shoot etc. and do not break or malfunction along with their consistant accuracy with a variety of ammo, factory and reload. Smith is now releasing the Sport II with a dust cover and forward assist but I imagine the cost will also take a slight hit.
My DPMS rifles are a dedicated .22 LR that is a real fun shooter and a LR 308 that I have found to be too heavy for hunting but an excellent bench rifle that runs flawlessly.

joe sixgun

Thanks for all the input. My experience with the AR platform was the M16-A2 over 20 years ago. All the stuff on the market today is kind of mind boggling.

Dirty_Harry

Like everyone said, look into a PSA. Of the 2 I'd choose the sport. You might want to take a look at the Ruger AR556 as well.

Jim Watson

My next door neighbor is a staunch Smith & Wesson man, so he bought the Sport. It shoots reliably and reasonably accurately.

You can sink a lot of money into bells and whistles, but if you want something that Just Works, this is OK.

silverbullet6oh

PSA

Here's an AR deal:

Complete Lower:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/14434/

Upper Mid-Length (minus BCG and CH):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...s-moe-blk-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

BCG:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palm...remium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

CH:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-amory-charging-handle-with-tactical-release-latch.html

Your at $509.96 with this setup, with a quality rifle, that is a MID-LENGTH, with a MOE handguard.

Right now this is the best deal for the least amount to spend. If you want better deals, you gotta wait for a couple more weeks, as they are low on their inventory with complete uppers.

Good luck!

herdman

Personally I would go with the smith and Wesson of the two. Would also consider the ruger. Just my opinion but one day you can say you have a name brand that people recognize and is likely not to be out of business or no longer making firearms.

rickyrick

It does not take very long after your first AR to acquire a box of AR accessories that you've tried and/or replaced.

PSA is a good place to start; at the foundation, you will get a good set of receivers and a great barrel, that is what is gonna count in the end

hornetguy

To answer the OP's question, I have the Oracle. I bought it when AR's were very scarce, paying just under $700 for it (happily). I only shot fmj's out of it once, then the range outlawed them, so I started loading. I chose the Hornady 60gr soft point, and picked a medium load, not minimum, not close to maximum, and went back to the range. With a scope, that load shoots right at an inch, 1/8" either way. It's difficult to beat that from a stock AR, I imagine, and I haven't tried. I've also loaded up some 53gr SST's that shoot about 1 1/2"... I plan to tweak that load some.
It's been a good rifle... no failures at all. I've also heard good things about the S&W, but have no experience with them.

joe sixgun

Thanks for the replies. I ended up with the Oracle. The Smittys I could find had a fixed front sight that I didn't want, and there wasn't crap on the shelf at PSA. I am lucky enough to have a 100 yard range at my house and my son does also but it has been freezing rain here for several days now so a range report will be upcoming.