DPMS LR-308

nadrepadre

Picked up a dpms oracle a couple months ago. Swapped the stock and hand guards out for magpul and troy goodies. Rifle feels great and points well.
DSCN0225.jpg

This is my first semi rifle apart from a few marlin model 60s. I'm amazed at the accuracy and ease of follow up shots all the way out to 250 yds. So far I've put 310 rounds through her of hornady amax, wolf, winchester. No issues whatsoever. Seems like the .308 AR platform is getting more and more attention nowadays and just wanted to add my $0.02

tobnpr

Nice looking rifle- like that handguard.

Just upgraded my son's (Xmas gift) with a Magpul PRS, and also bought him a Burris FF III.
Wanted to mount the FF on the offset rail alongside/under the optic, but lacks clearance. Despite appearance, it actually doesn't interfere with the sight picture on the railed gas block...but can't decide whether to leave it there or get higher rings for the scope. Concerned about heat from the gas block...anyone ever seen a red dot mounted on a railed gas block?

Anyway, not meaning to hijack. They're great rifles, my son's is a beast at about fifteen pounds, but 3/4 minute with 175 SMK's and have done very little load development so far.

They're a great value for the $$.

Ibmikey

I have an LR-308 carbine and changed the receiver extension and buffer to rifle length with a Magpul fixed rifle stock and moe grip, makes the rifle a great deal easier to shoot from the bench. I shoot about anything 308/7.62 and brass case without any malfunctions and with good accuracy. It now takes a back seat to the much lighter 300 blackout I built but still fun to shoot.

beeker77

LR308: Good?

Good!?!
How about... Gr-r-r-r-r-r-reat!

DPMS_LR308Tompkins-front_PNW-rear_o.jpg

:eek:

Total 10 rounds, but first two were sighters below the imaged area, as I adjusted the rear sight.
With this same configuration (and me shooting) this rifle performed about the same at 1,000 yards, but with Sierra MK HPBT 175gr.
DPMS_LR308_apertures_300yds_168gr_NoslerHPBT_41pt9grVarget_annotated_zps87353241.jpg

grubbylabs

Well since this had turned into a picture thread here is my new rifle. OOps I guess I need to resize some pictures, they seem to be a little to big.

Last edited:

Departed402

On a related note

In general, will an end plate that fits an AR-15 also fit an LR-308? I'm looking mount a sling on my LR-308, and don't want to waste money on something I won't be able to use.

Wyosmith

Dang!
I must just not be very lucky.

I had a DPMS 308 and I could NOT get it to feed without a lot of jams no matter what ammo I gave it.
I also had a Bushmaster, a Rock River and an Armalite all within the last 10 years.

None of them cycled without problems.

I gave up on all 4 of them and went back to my FN-FAL. It works perfectly.

It was heart breaking because all 4 were quite accurate with the Bushmaster being freakishly accurate. But super accuracy with poor reliability was no good.
I’ll take good accuracy with great reliability over great accuracy with poor reliability every time

MOshooter65202

Congrats on your DPMS LR-308,looks great!

I bought a DPMS LR-308 AP4 carbine in 2004 or 05'? I have mainly used the rifle for deer hunting during drives and stalking,I have a compact 1.75-6 power scope on the rifle and it has been accurate and totally reliable these past 9 or 10 years.

Wyosmith

[Stomping my feet and wringing my hands]

If you guys don't stop telling me all about how your "AR10" type rifles work and don't jam you are going to cause me to try yet another one. A 5th one!

I was 100% content to not own another one.

If I cave in it's going to be your fault!
:eek: :mad:

HiBC

Well,Wyo,My DPMS LR308L would not feed worth a hardly...with the original mag.But I bought some "C" product mags and it has been 100%

I have not seen any problem with Armalites,either.

grubbylabs

If you really are looking at or thinking about a LR 308, you should give the GII series a look. I am only 50 rounds into mine and it has been perfect. I wish I could get the pics to post. Ha it looks like I got one to post.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

tobnpr

Really surprised you had issues with the LR-308.
The reason I bought it, was the fact that I could find nothing but rave reviews- including sub-minute accuracy, all over the web. Amazing, I thought, for a $1K base price stick.

Only 100 rounds down the tube so far working up loads but not a single failure to feed.

Did you contact DPMS to send it back and have them look it over?

Wyosmith

Yes.
The DPMS went back 2 times in fact. It was after Remington bought DPMS).
Same with the Bushmaster. It went back 2 times also.

The Armilite had been back too, but it was sent back by its previous owner. He told me he’s sent it back twice.

I bought it for only $750 so I thought I'd take a chance on it. I am a pretty good gunsmith so I thought I might be able to make it work. I got it to work a bit better, but I was never able to get a full mag to run without at least one jam, so I sold it for the same price and let the 3rd buyer know it was a problem rifle.

The Rock River is the only one I had that I never sent back. By that time I had owned 3 lemon "AR-10" types and I got a 4th so I just gave up on them all.

As I said, I have an FAL, so I thought to myself, "why are you even bothering with the ARs"?

Dirty_Harry

The problem with a DPMS, is that it is a DPMS and thats a naughty word in the AR world.

Everyone I hear seems to be pleased with them. It looks like the Smith MP10 is also a very nice rifle for the money.

The Ruger is also a very interesting rifle.

Me, I keep my AR's to 5.56 and 308's to M1A's. ;)

Ibmikey

There are people who have a problem with everything in this world and they will find satisfaction very difficult to come by. I have a DPMS LR-308 and a dedicated DPMS .22 rimfire, both of which are neat rifles and shoot just about any ammo I have stuffed into them. Relialibility is no less than my high dollar AR's and the .22 has digested many bricks of ammo and only asked for a smile in return. I even know of a Bushmaster (another rifle the elitists do not like) that the owner thinks was well worth the purchase price. Go figure!