Dpms ar

vikingextreme93

So I was in a local sporting good store to look at a PX4 and ended up spending my time looking at there DPMS AR's (they have like 2 dozen in stock) I was eyeing up the Sportical for $799.00 but they had a several models in. Are the DPMS AR's decent? I have seen a lot of bad press on the web here. I am not a AR guy and was actually looking at MINI-14s until I found these DPMS rifles. DPMS is located right in town here so the guy said they have a good relationship with DPMS so that is all they sell. I almost made the impulse buy but now am hesitant to "pull the trigger" any advise??

ar15chase

There is nothing wrong with them. I have fired a few and they shot very well. People are going to bad mouth anything that isnt a Bushmaster or a Colt from what I see. I have a couple Olympic Arms that are terrific rifles, and people bad mouth them at the range. If you can get one for $799 you should get it, I havent seen them priced that way here in about a year. Oh by the way. Mini-14's dont even compare to AR's. Just my 2cents.

masterhunter

Coming from experience you will be happy.
Probably 1-9 twist barrels so you can shoot heavier bullets.
I just with they would throat em a little closer cause of mag constraints.

Technosavant

IMO, DPMS has been improving their quality since being bought by Cerberus (and becoming a sibling to Bushmaster and Remington).

They have had issues with chambers reamed to the wrong specs (a barrel marked with a 5.56 marking had a .223 chamber- 5.56 ammo didn't extract well). Bolts have been known to crack at the cam pin hole. They have been good plinkers, but overall quality a bit uneven for use as a SHTF rifle unless you make darn sure your particular one is reliable.

But like I said, lately I've read more good about them than bad, and I even have DPMS parts kits in my two homebuilt lowers (the trigger feel on them both is absolutely fantastic). For $800 they're a good deal, and a good first AR.

tbrenny09

yeah dpms is awesome...just picked my up from scheels in st cloud back in january....i get sub moa groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo...incredible gun for the price....i got the bull 20 in stainless

vikingextreme93

yep scheels in st. cloud is right where I was looking hopefully they have them in stock...waiting on some backpay and check should be here any day.

Jermtheory

For a couple hundred more and a little patience you could have a much better rifle imo.

I'm not one to preach about patience when wanting a new gun though.:eek:

a7mmnut

I'm totally happy with my Olympic K16, and would gladly buy more if I could. I did pass on a DPMS Sportical 16" .223 a couple of months ago for $759. Even worse, the same guy had the .308 Sportical for only $140 more!:eek: Now I wish I hadn't. I just couldn't stand the sight nor feel of the handguards and stock. The thing to remember about AR's is VERSATILITY. You can always buy parts--millions of them. If you can get a quality AR for $799 right now, you'd just better consider yourself lucky.

-7-

golfnutrlv

I have a friend who is an ex marine, has a lot of trigger time behind the Garand, and the M16 (in Nam). He has a DPMS, so it must work. He's a pretty frequent shooter, and an honest guy. He loves his DPMS AR15.

Apologize for no personal experience, but it sounds like most of the reviews so far are favorable.

MrNiceGuy

I've had better luck with DPMS than I have had with Colt...

Having said that, the sportical is lacking a brass deflector and dust cover. While those arent necessary options I sure like having them myself.

I have a sportical that i've put a 22lr kit into and basically use it as a dedicated 22lr that I could have shooting 223/556 in seconds. Even with 22lr it is plenty accurate

I also have an AR15 that I constructed from a DPMS stripped lower, a DPMS lpk, and a DPMS upper assembly. I've added a few goodies but all in all the rifle has been flawless... I've put thousands of rounds through it in all sorts of conditions without so much as a hiccup. This thing will feed anything too. From wolf to xm193 to custom loads, this thing just loves to shoot.

Both dpms rifles i've purchased have properly staked gas keys also. That is something i'd check for on any rifle I purchase.

hodaka

Another vote for DPMS. I converted a Colt H-bar into 2 Dpms's, one is a 6.8. I now have 3 and would not hesitate to buy more. I had one of their .308's but sold it because it was so boringly accurate and I did not need it. I probably regret that as much as any that I have sold.

longcall911

I've had a dpms lr-308 for a few months now. I call it my best new buddy, Sal (Semi-Automatic Longrange).

I put a quad rail free float tube on it, a bipod, a light, a laser, and a front grip. Oh yeah, and a nice trijicon scope. The rifle is awesome (and of course tacti-kool). I just recently finished a barrel breakin and coated it with smooth-kote.

I plan to get out the 100 yd range in the next couple of weeks to zero it. So, I don't have a lot of milage on it yet (about 220 rounds) but so far, I'm lovin it.

/*tom*/

PS: no flash hiders, muzzle brakes, or threaded barrels allowed in NJ so it was not easy to find one NJ compliant, but I did.

sal01.jpg

nimbleVagrant

My DPMS Sweet 16 has been a reliable rifle. Granted, I don't creep through jungles or patrol deserts, but it shoots where I want, when I want.

Lloyd Smale

i love my sprortical. Its just so much lighter then the rest of my ars. Only thing i had to get rid of was the hiddious forearm. I put a small one off of a colt on it.

velocette

I've had a DPMS LR 308B, 18" cryo barrel, for two years now. Thousands of rounds downrange. It has been very accurate with decent ammo (sub moa) and totally reliable, again with decent ammo. I keep it clean and well lubricated. I have fitted it with a 4 ~ 16 x scope, harris bipod, JP trigger (a neccessity as the stock triggers are horrible) & Hogue hand grip. IMHO, it has been money well spent. I'm reasonably certain that your money would be well spent on a DPMS rifle for your safe.

Roger

Firearms8-07001.jpg