Downside to Rebound Spring Change?

Coltdriver

If you go to a lighter rebound spring on a J frame is there a negative consequence?

Anybody have a suggestion for an optimum rebound spring or is this purely subjective??

nyetter

I just put a lighter rebound spring in my 686, the lightest one that Wolff sells in fact. I don't see any downsides to it, there seems to be perfectly adequate tension for fast trigger reset, and the improvement in DA pull is ASTOUNDING.

PKAY

Ya know, I'm considering the Wolfe spring route for my L and N frames as opposed to cutting the factory spring. And with Wolfe you can try different compression strengths as I understand it; pick and choose as it were among 3 or 4 they send you.

Jim Watson

The rebound spring has to
1. Rebound the hammer against the mainspring to get the firing pin off the round under the hammer. (The safety block keeps it away until the trigger is pulled.)
2. Return the trigger to the forward position.

I haven't seen a rebound spring too weak to rebound the hammer.
I have seen several that would not return the trigger. They were usually clipped and cut too much. A few were due to a cut or soft spring in a rough action that might have been ok in a smooth gun.
I have seen some that returned the trigger so weakly that it actually slowed down the rate of fire.

Use the lightest rebound spring that will keep up with your finger moving to reset AND NO LIGHTER.

Robert Foote

I usually wind up cutting two coils off the rebound spring on S&Ws including J frames. As pointed out its principal function is to ensure full trigger return, especially in fast DA. This is pretty standard procedure; but of course, to be avoided in a duty type weapon as it is an 'unauthorized modification'.

It's wise to have a spare on hand in case you overdo it, but I have never had it happen.

One of the few mods that are simple, serve a purpose, and has no real down side if done in moderation. Cheap, too.

C.R.Sam

Stock and strong rebound springs help to compensate for poor trigger finger control. They actually push the finger forward while resetting the trigger.

If one properly snaps the trigger finger forward after pulling it, the spring can be much lighter.

If the action is smoothed internally so that less friction and force are involved in the movement of the parts....the spring can be lighter and still insure proper function.

Precision bullseye shooters may have difficulty with light return springs as some are used to squeezing untill the gun fires and then holding that for a bit. Often forgetting to move the finger forward for the next shot.

Lots of variables to consider.

I personally like smooth and light on my play guns and very close to stock springs in my weapons. They are all smooth tho.

Sam

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
In addition to lightening rebound springs on Smith & Wesson revolvers, I always spend a few minutes polishing the bottom face of the rebound bar and the frame it rubs against, and make sure there's plenty of oil between the two. Less friction there can make a perceptible difference, especially with M.I.M. parts.