Dove season! What's your dove gun?

Dave R

Dove season opens Friday, here. I'll be checking out my dove gun tonight.

I typically use a 12 ga. SXS with twin triggers. I like the ability to choose chokes, or even loads, in an instant.

On the other hand, I have always wanted to take my 18" Defender on a dove hunt. I think the fast handling might be an advantage.

So, what's your dove gun?

HSMITH

Browning Gold 20ga with a 26" barrel. It knows what I am thinking and does what I want faster and better than anything else I have shot. AA or STS target loads with 7/8ths oz of 8's is what I normally shoot if I don't have any equivalent handloads ready.

If it is really windy I will take my SuperX2 and load it down to 1 1/8th oz of 8's.

Stiofan

Normally either my Ithaca SKB O/U or my Savage-Fox S/S, both with 26" barrels in 12ga.

Ocassionally I'll use my Auto 5 12ga as well.

gordo b.

Browning BSS 12 ga. 28" mod and full but has been long forcing coned and 'loosened' a little in choke for improved patter density, Win. AA 7.5s or Rem. 7.5 Nitro. Where I shoot is a little different; out over a canyon or tree tops on a Ridge in Carmel Valley. Flights come over oak tree tops from up the valley. :D

scotts_4x

Mine is a 20ga Beretta 686 white onyx o/u. ic/m chokes and 7/8oz. of #8's. good eating ahead my friends, happy hunting.

-Scott

Tahoe

I'm actually packing for my little hunt trip.

I'll take my Weatherby O/U with Improved and Modified and my Benelli M1. I'll take both chokes just in case. I'll shoot 7 1/2 and 8's.

I've gained confidence with the improved after shooting quite a few clays in the last week with it, with decent success.

FirstFreedom

Browning Gold 20ga with a 26" barrel.

That'd be my ideal (jealous of HSMITH), but until I get it, the NEF Excel auto 5 12 ga. 22" (turkey gun).

Do y'all single-barrel guys use cylinder, improved cylinder, or modified for dovies?

The same Remington 1100 that I shot my first dove with 20 years ago.

I'd say that you're definitely consistent! :)

banditt007

first dove hunt ever mid september in PA.

my equipment is as follows, wether it is ideal or even right i am unsure but think i got it covered to get by decently.

1300 winchester 12 gauge pump 28" barrel

2 3/4" #8 shot, 1oz @1290 FPS

mod choke

Last edited:

maas

i use my browning gold 3 1/2" 12ga with a extra full choke. im thinking about reloading some 3 1/2" 7 1/2's. that will do a number on doves.:D

hoghunting

This season I'm using a L C Smith external hammer SxS that was made in 1913. I just restocked it and replaced some of the internal parts and it shoots like a dream. No wonder the old timers liked them so much.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Any shotgun one can shoot well makes a decent dove gun.

i'll use an 870. I've a couple that'll work.

7/8 oz reloads, choke from Skeet to Full, depending on how they're flying....

HSMITH

FF, I screwed a full choke in that Gold 20 about 5 or 6 years ago, and can't remember where the wrench is. I haven't used anything but a full choke for hunting in a LONG time regardless of gun or game hunted.