Dove Debate

roy reali

I know there are several states that do not allow dove hunting. Those same states allow the shooting of ducks, pheasants and quail. What's up with that?

Why is dove hunting so controversial? What makes this bird any more or less special then a quail? If you want to get down to it, doves are related to pigeons, a bird often called flying rats. I even know of hunters that will not shoot at these birds, yet, won't hesitate to take down a goose or a turkey.

I am thankful that dove hunting is still kosher here. I plan on going on opening day. Besides, I think it is one of tastiest critters to eat.

So, why the big controversy over this small bird?

Kreyzhorse

I'm sure some of it is based on current or past populations of the bird but I'm sure a lot of it pressure from anti hunters as well.

Uncle Buck

I used to hunt dove when I was able to walk fields and get around a lot better.

I was really surprised at the number of folks who would not let us shoot doves because they are "bible birds". We were invited back to shoot rabbits, quail, squirrel and deer, but "Do not shoot those doves! They are mentioned in the bible." was a very common answer.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
My mom in MI. said they battled dove hunting by claiming they were the "Bird of Peace"... But I didn't know there were a huntable population of white doves up there...

Brent

Pahoo

Bible Bird, Bird of Peace and "It's a Song Bird" are some of many reasons given. The logic escapes me. Has nothing to do with habitat or numbers. We hunt doves in Missouri and Illinoise and the numbers are very good. It's all about the grain or seeds that they can eat. The private place that we hunt in illinoise has many food plots that have been planted and they love sun-flowers. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Daryl

Seems like I read somewhere that it's the state bird of at least one state. Makes sense that they wouldn't allow hunting of their state bird.

I shot a lot of dove in my younger years, and sometimes still manage a hunt or three.

This year? Well, maybe. I have a full freezer that needs to be used up to make room for a buffalo, and I've released more dove from my chicken coop than I care to count. Seems they like chicken scratch, and manage to squeeze under the gate to the run area and then can't get back out.

With all that considered, it seems sorta pointless to go hunt them, but I like getting out in the field after something, and that's traditionally the first hunting season in most states.

I've certainly nothing against shooting them, even though I enjoy seeing them around the house.

Daryl.

Daryl

I'm from Michigan and Hogdogs is correct. I think it was the song bird deal though (as Pahoo stated). Also, we are just talking about run of the mill Mourning Doves. There are no hunters standing outside of church weddings hoping for a release of white doves to blast. My understanding is pro-hunting groups proved that hunting would have zero effect on the already high mortality rate of doves. I also believe that some southern counties allow dove hunting.

Hmmm.....I've heard dove breasts and gravy over egg noodles is goooood stuff.

FrankenMauser

We have enough doves here, that 2 species are considered "nuisance species" and are non-game animals. Any weapon, any time, any where (provided that weapon is legal in the locale, of course). Even baiting and poisoning is legal for the Eurasian Collared Dove.

I believe we have 4 species that are game birds, and no protected species.

HappyHunting

After a trip to Argentina 3 summers ago, I have been completely spoiled with dove hunting. My blood lust has sated.

I just go to oogle over my A-5 20 ga.

Uncle Buck

If we use "Bible Bird" as an arguement against hunting dove, is that mixing religion and state?

I think it is mixing religion w/taste. Definitely need to mix it with the gravy and rice.

I really do not think people understand the danger that over-population poses to animals and their environments. (Both the people and the animals environment.)

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Dove hunting was banned for a long time in Wisconsin because a school kid petition spearheaded by anti-hunters to get them named as the Wisconsin bird of peace went through.

After many years it finally got reversed amidst much screaming and gnashing of teeth but hunters wishes and the argument that the Wisconsin Mourning Dove is not the Mid-east and far east White Dove, the traditional bird of peace finally got through to the legislature and the governor.

Sphawley

Well when most people hear the hunting of doves, they get upset because they are symbolic of peace and love....

I dont really care, I wanna hunt!! :D

FrankenMauser

FrankenMauser, Are in Fla? That sounds like our dove regs for "ringneck" doves...
Brent

Utah.
I don't know the history on the other non-native species, but the Eurasian Collared Dove was brought into Utah by a rich banker in the 1890s. He brought several thousand in, for "sport". At some point prior to 1900, the majority of the doves escaped, and became feral. They survived fairly well in the Salt Lake City area, but started dying off in the 1960s and 1970s, until new populations from the South Eastern U.S. started migrating here. When the "native" population got an injection of fresh genetics and larger numbers (from the migrants), they exploded.

The Eurasians now outnumber many of our native species, are displacing them from their habitats, and destroy food sources before the native doves get to them.

The Department of Wildlife wants them eliminated.

(Interesting note: I just checked this year's hunting proclamation, and the DWR is now claiming to not know what impact the Eurasians will have on native species. It's quite the contrast to previous years and statements.)