Doubles Anyone?

Cris

I seem to have aquired a recent urge for a double rifle. The problem that I am facing is I have limited funds with which to purchase said rifle. I would love to get my hands on one of the great classic doubles, but seeing this is not in my near future, I am looking to alteratives. What are my chances for an "entry level" double? This rifle will be used as more of a shooter / collector than an actual hunting rifle. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Cris, the (and I mean "the") only entry level double is the Krieghoff. It's about 10k although you may find a better price used. (on-line auctions or the Gun List) The ammo (.470) is about $ 140 for Federal factory. Twenty rounds... Obviously you can reload for less. Krieghoff also has a .416/450 or some-such. Ammo may be cheaper, dunno.

If your still interested, let me know and I'll try to post some links/numbers..

Giz

Greg L

Dixie has a couple of black powder doubles in the $700-1000 range (don't have my catalog handy). I think that they go up to .58 cal.

Greg (still waiting to get rich so I can start my double collection :D)

Doubles are nice, but pricey. About the only thing I can afford (and want) is a double barrel .58 caliber Minie Ball. Wotta bear gun that would be.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Valmet used to import a O/U double that had interchangeable bbls, including sets in 30-06 and 308. The few people that had them loved them, the bbls could be regulated easily and the piece was set up for scoping.

Or, some Winchester Model 21 shotguns were built as double rifles, including in 405 Win, and 45-70. Not cheap...

mussi

Get a Drilling without that exquisite carved stock. Won't improve your
aim anyway. I have one, iron-sighted, with 2 12-gauge barrels, and one
9.3x74R barrel. Absolutely great, the iron sights are tuned in so
nicely that all three barrels shoot alomost the same POI at 50m as
long as the barrels are cold.

However, be prepared to lug around 8 kg or rifle, plus a bit of ammo.

Tom Matiska

Cabella's lists the muzzle loader mentioned earlier up to .72 caliber (but doesn't list 72 caliber balls).
www.navyarms.com list a double 45-70 for $2800 ($3700 deluxe), but doesn't say what strength of reloading it is good for. The 1886 level reloads are more than enough for anything on this continent.

Tom

Nevada Fitch

I bought a Petrocele Double rifle from Cabelas in 54CAl with round ball twist a few years ago. Gave about 575 dollars for it.It has been interested and fun to shoot and hunt with.have killed a couple of deer with it so far.Did not like the sights so I changed them.used a remington 700 rear sight and had to go with a taller front sight to get loads to hit at point of aim.Had to shoot 80grains of blackpowder in left barrel and 100grains in the right barrel to get the barrels to shoot together But it shoots very good now.Had one lock fail on me this year had to replace it.sear broke.This gun is kind of heavy but I like it a lot.