Double Tap ammo

Tophe

Maybe I should have asked your opinions before I just ordered some of this, but I don't think I will be disappointed.

I just ordered 100 rds of the 124 gr +p 9mm HP's . Everything looked great about them on their website.

Just lookin for opinions of people who have used their ammo.

relee

Good Stuff!

I got a box of the 180 grain SWC hard cast. Very accurate....fired some, saving the rest for hunting!

Bob

Hunley

Love. It.

I swear by this stuff. It is hotter than almost anything else you will find on the market, and the only thing you will find in my Glocks! They started out making 10mm ammo, but offer darn near every handgun round out there and a good many rifle calibers as well.

You will need to get plenty of them to become accustomed to the recoil difference. I thought it was in my head until I had a friend load a magazine with Speer Gold Dots, Federal Hydrashocks, and Double Tap with Speer Gold Dot heads. All were 180 grain. The Double Tap had noticeably more kick to it in my Glock 22.

Elvishead

Tophe:

Maybe I should have asked your opinions before I just ordered some of this, but I don't think I will be disappointed.

I just ordered 100 rds of the 124 gr +p 9mm HP's . Everything looked great about them on their website.

Just lookin for opinions of people who have used their ammo.

I wanted to get some but didn't want to pay shipping on just a few box's. I always buy in bulk to lower the shipping per box, is way down.

I tried to find some buddies to do a group buy over a year ago, but they are to cheap to spend $25 for a box 50.:rolleyes:

Now they are knocking on my door asking me to part with my GDHP 9mm +P at $12.50 a box (50) I paid last year in bulk. I wouldn't sell them at any price now!

By the way, what was the shipping cost?

MEATSAW

I used it exclusively in my .357 Snubbie. They make their ammo the way all ammo should be made, no-holds barred. I like Gold Dots, and with their velocity in all their calibers, you can't go wrong. One caveat: test fire for accuracy first and foremost...if you can't shoot it well you are better off with something else!

wnycollector

I carry doubletap ammo in my .357, .40, .45 and 9mm handguns. All of the ammo in these calibers, for all of the bullet weights I have chronographed, either meets or exceeds DT's website velocity claims EXCEPT FOR ITS .38 125gr +P gold dots.

DT's gold dots DO NOT meet their 1100fps claim in a 2" barrel or 1175fps in 4" barrels. Out of 2 different snubs (M36 and 638) the average for 25 shots was ~925fps and out of a 5" K frame it was only ~990fps. I only had a handfull of shots that broke 1000fps. The highest recorded velocity of 1046fps was out of the 5" K frame.

Dont get me wrong, 925fps out of a snub is not bad...it just dosent meet the claim made by DT. I carry the remington 158gr +P LHP (FBI load) in my .38's, but my speed loader that I pocket carry is loaded with the DT 125gr gold dot. I'm not a big fan of carrying a lead bullet in my pocket all day...the JHP's stand up better to daily wear and tear!

Last edited:

bikerbill

I've got DT .38 +p in my car snubbie; excellent stuff, very fast, very accurate ... a little pricy, but you pay for quality

Tophe

the shipping was 9 and some change. I got my confirmation email from them though and it said I only ordered one box. I either changed it without noticing, of they made an error. I didnt want to pay that much for ONE box either, but I might have. I responded to their email and asked them to call me but havent heard from them. I am hoping that maybe they will give me a deal on my next box though. So thats kind of a bummer but Im still waiting for them to arrive.

Crazi

Was looking through my stash of ammo the other day taking inventory and thought, "Damn! It looks like a Double Tap warehouse in here!" LOL :D

I use DoubleTap ammo almost exclusively in my handguns except for my daily carry. I use Winchester Ranger T in that.

Tophe

Mine came in the other day. i will fire some of it tomorrow at the range to test for accuracy and what not.

I bought them to use for SD rounds in my daily carry gun.

So are the bullets that DT uses the same as the gold dots??

The ones I bought are the Bonded JHP's.....What exactly does the "bonded" nomenclature mean??

Sevens

a little pricy, but you pay for quality
Compared to just about every other maker's defense oriented ammo, Double Tap is less expensive! Most of their calibers ship in 50 round boxes, not 20 and 25 rd mini-packs.
What exactly does the "bonded" nomenclature mean??
I believe it's more of a heavy plating than a jacket, and that the bonded means that it won't separate from the lead bullet and fragment. It's supposed to expand and tear, but not separate, fragment and fall apart.

But I'm not expert and perhaps someone else can explain it better.

herbie1

So are the bullets that DT uses the same as the gold dots??

Previously they used to advertise that they used Gold Dots. Now they call them bonded. They still look like Gold Dots. If they are, I wish DT would say so. If I am going to purchase home defense ammo, I would like to know that it uses top quality bullets, not some sort of generic 'bonded' ammo.

H.

nitetrane98

I certainly love DT in my 10mm. The 135 gr Nosler JHP at 1600 fps is especially useful to demonstrate to a few buddies that their .40 S&W is indeed "short and weak". It's kind of a showoff round though. If you're feeling particularly ignored at the range, light the fuse on a couple of those. Amazingly no sign of pressure in my Colt. Needless to say they're a bit rambunctious.

The really sweet stuff is in the 165gr Gold Dots or Golden Sabers. Also the 180gr.

I know you're talking about 9mm but I've no reason to think that any other of their ammo is not first rate as well.

MEATSAW

As I have been a DT customer since about 2005 and am on their mailing list as well. About 3 months ago I got an email saying that due to some sort of brand name issues that they were going to now be calling all their Gold Dot loadings "bonded defense JHP" -- any DT loading that says bonded defense JHP is a Gold Dot, their is no difference. Buffalo Bore also uses Gold Dot bullets in their bonded core JHCs, but doesn't use the Gold Dot name for apparently the same reason. I will try and dig through my e-mail and find exactly what Mike McNett (owner of DT) said regarding the issue

DasFriek

i cant add much or need to add anything about how well its liked.
i bought 2 box's of 10mm 180g bonded and 200g controled expansion.
but ive only shot 10 of the 200g,as i want save the stuff and shoot the other more expensive ammo i have.
for a 10mm it is actually cheaper to buy from DT than to buy locally.
for me fmj blazers are $37 a box locally.

i will say i almost feel bad about my order as i waited 1 week with no responce to my order being shipped,i emailed them and it shipped the next day.i should have held off and waiting another week or 2 as thats the "common" shipping time around the net for ammo like this.
so me getting them shipped so fast is superior CS imo.

i will add that i could really feel the extra bump these had,right in the pocket of my hand.my gun doesnt lift from recoil,it goes straight back.and i could feel the grips texture burying itself into my skin.

yeh ill be buying more ;)

Tophe

Yeah, I have to concur with the good customer service. I ordered mine originally, and I wanted 2 boxes. I must have accidently changed it to one while ordering so after I got the confirmation I replied to it, and he was able to change my order before it shipped and I still had my ammo a week after I ordered it.

Cant wait to shoot this stuff today.

Doodlebugger45

Hmmm...

Thanks for posting this because I have never used DT nor have any of my local buddies. I looked at their website and it I like what I see coupled with the overwhelming positive responses posted here. Their prices don't look bad at all for premium ammo like they claim to have in 45-70, 44 mag, etc. I'm hoping it doesn't take them forever to ship stuff assuming they have it in stock.