Double Stack 9mm 1911?

KMAX

Does anyone make one except Rock Island? I looked at their site and all I saw was a Tac version with a rail. Would prefer to not have the rail. I am not sure whether I would rather put the rail or go with a single stack. Also in 45acp most if not all of the single stack mags will fit any 1911 or so it seems. Is this the case also with the 9mm 1911s. Who makes decent reasonably inexpensive single stack 9mm magazines?

MarkCO said:
Most people generally refer to double stack 1911s as 2011s.
Armscor (Rock Island) calls their double stack 1911s "2011," and I think maybe STI does (or did). Para-Ordnance/ParaUSA has arguably sold more double stack 1911s than all other brands combined, and Para never referred to them as "2011."

Everyone I know refers to a double stack 1911 as a "double stack 1911."

RickB

Since 9mm has largely replaced .38 Super as the USPSA competition cartridge of choice, STI has been making lots of hi-cap, 9mm 2011s.
SVI makes similar guns, but they are very expensive (if you don't think $1500-$2000 is expensive enough).

MarkCO

Para? The company that is no more, the company that made frames so soft they were machined with butter knives, that Para? Or the Para that has a few sponsored shooters shooting their pistols at majors against several hundred 2011s, that Para? :eek:

MANual_puller

RIA refers to them as a 1911 A2. I think they refrain from calling them "2011" since they are still series 70.

Also, maybe look at Rock Island's TCM series. They all come with 9mm barrels. Lot more options. I have a 51680 and it eats anything I throw at it. Very nice shooter. I don't use the 9mm barrel that often, usually prefer 22TCM but sometimes it's fun to blast off a box of cheap ammo :D

g.willikers

Yeah, if money is no object the ones from STI and SVI are real beauties.
I had the opportunity to try one (can't recall which one) - they will really spoil you.

KMAX

I checked out all the double stacks on the sites you all have provided. Looks like the ones I really like are out of my price range except maybe the RIA. I may have to go with a single stack 9mm or maybe not. Thanks for your input.

g.willikers

With all the high capacity 9mms out there, maybe there's one that will fill the bill, even if it's not a 1911.
Some come real close to satisfy a 1911 enthusiast.

KMAX

@ g.willikers I have a 9mm in a Sig, a Beretta, and a Taurus. Kinda wanted one in a 1911. I may decide to get off my wallet or trade off some unused guns and come up with $1500 or so. Just not today. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Everyone I know refers to a double stack 1911 as a "double stack 1911."

^^ +1 I also don't get upset if someone says "Long Colt."

Last edited:

RickB

A custom-only proposition is the Caspian hi-cap frame.
Unlike Para, STI, et al., Caspian dimensioned their magazine and frame specifically for cartridges shooting thirty-six caliber bullets, so it's more compact while still holding a full complement of rounds.
Dan Wesson made a 10mm on that frame called the Titan, if you want to compare it visually to other offerings.

osbornk

I have a RIA single stack 9mm. I bought Mec-Gar magazines for it and they have worked perfectly. I have 500-600 rounds through the gun and I have had no malfunctions of any kind with the OEM or the 2 Mec-Gar mags. They were $17.99 each at Midway.

You could do a lot worse than buying an RIA double stack. A big advantage to the Rock Island is that you can use Para-Ordnance magazines -- and AFAIK CDNN still has boatloads of Para double stack magazines (if you're not in a state with a 10-round magazine limit).