Double Rifle From Shotgun!?!?!?!?

TaxPhd

Don't know which is the right forum for this, so I'll try it out here.

Was at a gun show in Denver yesterday, and a guy was selling a book that he authored on turning a double shotgun into a double rifle. he had several examples of rifles on his table, and they were very nice indeed! I have handled (never shot) a number of double rifles from various makers, and upon examining this converted shotgun, it is not apparent that it is a conversion. 10 lbs., quarter rib with flip up leaf sights, double triggers, ejectors, etc.

Basically, a new set of barrels are fabricated and fit to the gun. Buttstock, fore-end, and action remain the same. Chamberings are standard Nitro Express rounds (so as to keep pressures down), with the makers preferred round being the .450 3 1/4". Preferred actions are those with Greener cross-bolts.

Display gun was built on a Belgian guild gun, IIRC. The maker claimed to $800 total into the project. :eek: Incredible!

I didn't buy his book, but now I think I need to call him and order it.

C.R.Sam

Sounds like it could be a fun book.

The concept has been discussed on TFL a couple of times.

A few of the shotgun manufacturers offer rifle barrel sets for their doubles.

Ten pounds sounds reasonable. I had a .405 Win double, scratch built that was the size of a side by side .410 shotgun. Work of art but the recoil was more than noticible at under 7lbs.

Any contact info on this guy ?

Sam

dfaugh

FWIW

I've always thought this was an interesting idea..I like some of the availble "inserts, even better though, which I guess are much more common in Europe

TaxPhd

The inserts are an interesting and cheap way to do it, but it will have shotgun "sights."

EAA, IIRC, has some inexpensive inserts in .45-70 for the short Baikal shotguns.

O/U

Tanner show

This guy is at all the shows. He will be at the Cross Roads show next. Pick up the book there

TaxPhd

O/U,

Have never been to the Crossroads show. Is it worth visiting? Is it smaller or larger than the Tanner show?

Thanks!

O/U

Its about twice as big as the Tanner show. But there is alot of dealers there, and alot of non gun tables there almost like a high priced flea market. For some reason all the Tanner sellers are there but their prices go up. The sales tax out there is around 9% The best shows are at Adams County or the one up in Longmont or Loveland. I can hook up with you sometime and Ill meet you there.

HerbG

Back in the 1970's, there was a gunshop in the Macon/Warner Robbins, GA area that converted Stevens double barrels to .45-70. They used inserts in the original barrels and then installed an open rear sight that used two (2) notches - one for each barrel. This allowed them to not bother regularing the barrels to shoot together. I saw the gun fired, but never had a chance to actually shoot it. At the time they advertised in Shotgun News. Wonder if those guys are still around?

TaxPhd

The various tubes/inserts are interesting methods of doing this, but they are just not the same.

Take for example, a Dumolin. A Belgian box lock SxS shotgun. Can be had for $500. Have new barrels made in .450 3 1/4", and now, you've got a Dumolin doulble rifle. Looks and feels exactly like a double rifle should, not like a tubed SxS shotgun.

Want to really fool your friends? Get a Cogswell & Harrison, or some other mid priced English boxlock. Preferably with dented barrels, so it'll be cheaper. Have new rifle barrels made, and if done right, can't tell the difference (Double rifle expert could, but normal guys? No way!). For all intents and purposes, you've got a $2,000 English double rifle, chambered for a classic Nitro Express cartridge, where the real thing goes for $7,000-10,000.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Sounds very interesting. One of the reasons double rifles are so expensive is the regulation of the barrels, I understand its a tedious process.

If you see this guy again, get us his name.

I'll look for him at the next show as well.

The idea of converting and old shotgun to a dangerous game gun is intriguing. Not a .470 mind you, but say a .375 H&H?

The cheapest NEW double rifle available is a Pedersoli 45-70 with serpentine hammers, still runs around $2000, the 20 ga. barrels are of course, extra.

BigG

I think the shotgun standing breech and hinge may have a hard time standing up to a high intensity cartridge.

The 45/70 I can see or maybe a 450 loaded to African standards ~2000 fps.

But my 308 Win double has a much heavier breech section than a comparable shotgun.

Good luck on your project. I'd like to read the book also. Can you give the name and the author, please?

C.R.Sam

Of the few tube lined conversions I have handled. All were quite muzzle heavy. Just didn't feel right.

Sam

TaxPhd

Dr. Rob,

You would probably be better off with the .470 rather than the .375 H&H for a couple of reasons.

1) Lower presure in the Nitro Express rounds.

2) Rimmed case. Making extractors/ejectors for non-rimmed rounds that work, all the time, is a bear. In Craig Boddington's book, Safari Rifles, he has said that if they haven't failed yet, they will. Extracors for a rimmed case are just like shotgun extractors - virtually fool-proof.

BigG, who is the maker of your .308 double?

I am not sure about the strength issue. I have handled a number of doulble rifles, and while I didn't make a sid by side comparison to a double shotgun, I don't remember the rifle frames, hinge pin, standing breechs being heavier.

You are absolutely righ about the loading, though. Any of the Nitro Express rounds, from .450/400 up through .470, loaded with a 450-500 grain bullet at around 2,000 fps, is THE STANDARD. It would be perfect.

The book is called "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions."

By W. Ellis Brown. (970) 686-5220.

BigG

It's a Baikal, yep, that's right - a Russkie. :D Very nice weapon but heavier through the action than a comparable shotgun, oh 20 bore or so...

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I should have said 375 H&H "Flanged" Magnum. That way the re-loading components would be cheaper.

I've been wanting a .375 for a long time, and I've been looking at a lot of magazine rifles from CZ, Winchester etc etc.

This just sounds like a neat project to get a big double cheaper than a Merkel runs new.

lol... funny thing to think about.. looking over at your PH's double to see the reciever is engraved with ducks and geese.:D

Crazyquik

Ross Seyfried had a gun for all game built in G&A once. 20 gauge Ruger Red Label frame, with a set of over-and-under rifle barrels, in something like 7x57 on the bottome and then .416 on the top. Same guy who built it does SxS conversions too. I can probably find the builder if anyone is still interested.

BTW, Hi :)

J.

SnakeLover

There was an article in either American Shooter or Petersen's a few months back on converting a Ruger Red Label into a double rifle. Guy stated the lock up on the red label was the only one strong enough. I'll dig through my pile of magazines and see if I can't get more specifics.

Snake