double firing pin?

Vladimir_Berkov

I was thinking about the .22LR, and how being a rimfire there is a chance that a section of the rim might be a "dud," so-to-speak. Why doesn't a .22LR firearm exist with a double pronged firing pin? Where a second part of the pin would strike 180 degrees away from the first? I would think it would greatly reduce the amount of misfires. And on a defense gun in .22LR it would make a lot of sense.

k77/22rp

That seems like a pretty good idea, though I've never had any misfires with .22lr, nor have I even heard of them.
I think the current system is reliable enough.

kobun

I've never had any misfires with .22lr, nor have I even heard of them.
You have never had a misfire??? :eek:
What kind of ammo are you using? Please, tell me.

Or is it that you have never shot a .22? :D

jjmorgan64

I have had misfires, with different brands of ammo in different firearms.:mad:
The problem you will run into with double firing pins is that you will have to increase the hammer spring strength, as each will only hit half as hard because your spreading the force out over twice the area.

If you can do it and still have it easily cockable(?) sounds like a good system.

The Henry rifle had a double firing pin for that very reason, back in the 1860s, and I'd doubt it is the only example.

It would seem that manufacturers more recently have figured the ammo to be reliable enough that such a system wasn't necessary.

I must say that I can't recall having a rimfire misfire for years, and I have fired literally thousands of rounds. I suspect that some firearms are more prone to misfires though, and it has little to do with gaps in the priming compound.

k77/22rp

kubon,
Seriously I've never had a misfire in .22lr, and have shot thousands of rounds. Maybe I've been lucky, though my .22 with the most rounds through it is bolt action, they must have stronger firing pin springs than semi.
Had several misfires out of my milsurps, but thats a different story.

As noted, the Henry had a double firing pin.

Also, the Italian and/or Swiss Vetterli rifles also had double firing pins.

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, the Swiss Vetterli has a double firing pin; the Italian Vetterli is center fire (10.35 x 47R, sometimes called the 1.04x47R)

I cannot recall having any misfires with fresh .22 LR that was not due to the gun, though I have been shown a .22 that seemingly never had priming in it. Misfires with any reasonably fresh factory ammo are, in spite of previous comments, very, very rare. Anyone having many should check the gun or his ammo storage conditions.

Jim

C.R.Sam

Rimfires missfire.
Depending on your luck and ammo, rarely or occaisionally
My experience....less than one out of every 10,000 Fed GM Ultra Match.

None out of a case (6000) rounds $5/brick Russian.

Eley 10X about like Fed Ultra Match

Maby one per box (50) with PMC.

And a bunch of others in between.

Sam