Double ended vs. Hollow base wadcutters. Why two types?

pathdoc

I know what wadcutters are for and why; what I haven't worked out for myself yet is why both HB and DE types exist.

What differing purposes do they serve, and is the major significance at the reloading end, the impact end, or somewhere in between?

dahermit

I know what wadcutters are for and why; what I haven't worked out for myself yet is why both HB and DE types exist.

What differing purposes do they serve, and is the major significance at the reloading end, the impact end, or somewhere in between?
Doubled ended wadcutters are easier to deal with as a home bullet caster. They could (and likely have), made bullet molds for hollow base, but it is likely viewed by home casters as an unnecessary feature.

Comercail bullet makers use an automated swaging system wherein it is of little trouble to use soft lead and impart a hollow base. I do believe that the purpose of the hollow base was to insure bullet to barrel fit as similar to the Mini bullets of the Civil War era.

I doubt if there is any advantage of one over the other accuracy wise.

gwpercle

Double ended are easy to cast in a bullet mould , generally cheaper and because both ends are the same easier to put (load) into bullet feeding mechanisms for progressive loading machines . Solid base is easier to seat .

HBWC are not cast (usually) but swaged on bullet swaging machines ... expensive machines , these cost more , more care must be taken when loading ... they don't do well in automatic bullet feeding machines unles placed one at a time with base down .
Being softer and having a HB more care has to be taken when seating the soft bullet ... the brass case can squeeze it down smaller than you wish .
Advantage ... The Most Accurate ... Extensive NRA testing proven many times over ... swaged HBWC take the edge every time , but you have to be a good shot to make it happen . If you are Match Shooting for money or trophies ... you want the HBWC . Fun shooting ...cast will do .
Gary

FrankenMauser

DEWCs do not have a specific orientation to worry about. You just load and go.
Simple. Easy. Bang.

HBWCs do have a specific orientation that you must pay attention to (whether loaded as a hollow base, or a hollow point).
But they have two theoretical advantages in HB form:
1. The base should expand to fit the bore of whatever they're fired in. As long as the 'nose' diameter is close enough to groove diameter, this is a theoretical accuracy advantage and doesn't require bullet sizing trial and error.
2. The hollow base causes a forward center of gravity, while leaving the center of pressure in the same place it would be on a cylinder of lead (like a badminton shuttlecock). This makes the projectile more aerodynamically stable - another theoretical accuracy advantage.

In HP form, you lose the above potential advantages, but end up with a honkin' hollow point. Or, as one of our members likes to call them, "Turtle Busters."

They could (and likely have), made bullet molds for hollow base, but it is likely viewed by home casters as an unnecessary feature.
HB molds have been done. Many times. I have several - one of which is a regular production item at NOE.

A hollow base is far from an unnecessary feature when a hollow base is what you want.

"Them there hollow pointed bullets are fantastic. But the hollow point part seems unnecessary."
:confused::rolleyes:

Dunross

Hollow base wadcutters have a ceiling limit for velocity or you risk blowing the skirt off which will seriously degrade your accuracy and more importantly could leave a bore obstruction behind.

Sold wadcutter types can be driven as hard as you care to drive them subject to the limits all cast bullets must be concerned with.

For the most accurate target shooting high velocity is not usually wanted so the hbwc will best serve the purpose. For defense, hunting, casting your own, etc the solid wadcutters are what is wanted.