Double-barrel vs Pump for self-defense ?

Hammer1

Was looking at a gun store rack yesterday.

There were several self-defense shotguns in the $400 range on the rack.

There were some of the new Stoeger double-barrels with picatinny rails for lasers and such. They also have the barrels ported.

There were several pump actions including Mossberg and Brownings.

For home defense by the typical homeowner, what is the current stage of argument and debate between the short double-barrel shotgun and the pump action ?

Think Clint Smith has said a few positive words and had his picture made with a double-barrel shotgun lately.

sakeneko

We have a Mossberg 500 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, which holds six rounds total when fully loaded with a round in the chamber. Ours has five rounds loaded, because for safety we don't leave a round in the chamber. Besides, hearing somebody pump a shotgun is *intimidating*; maybe any future intruder will decide to leave without further argument. ;) We added a Knoxx SpecOps stock so that I could shoot the thing without getting a bruise on my shoulder from the kick.

We might never need more than two rounds for self-defense, but then we might, so I prefer what we have to a double-barrel.

redlevel42

I have both, as well as single-shots. I feel about as well armed for HD with one as the other. If I were taking doors with a swat team, I would want a pump or a semi. It isn't hard to fire a single-shot shotgun, break it open and reload, and be back on target in just a couple of seconds with a little practice. Best place to practice quick reloads with a double or ss is on a dove field with the birds really swirling in.

knight0334

I prefer a SxS for all purposes. I also prefer a single shot over pumps, semi's, and O/U's. ..But hey, that's just me.

Get what you want, and what you feel comfortable and confident with no matter if it's a pump, semi, U/O, SxS, drilling, or single shot.

Jimmy10mm

In one of my favorite classic gun books, John "Pondoro" Taylor's African Rifles and Cartridges, says that the double rifle is superior to the magazine rifle for dangerous game because of the speed with which you can get off a second shot if you need it.

OTOH, in the realm of SD or HD I would rather take my chances with the pump and the 7 rounds rather than the double with two. Reloading a double may be quick but you might have a fellow shooting at you while you're at it.

kozak6

I figure a double is probably "good enough", but that a pump is better.

Two main advantages to the double. It's going to be a lot shorter than a pump with the same barrel length, and it's going to be more reliable since it's basically two guns stuck together.

A faster second shot than a pump? I guess, but I'm not convinced it's that much faster as to actually make a difference. And the pump sure offers a faster third shot, and a fourth shot, and a fifth shot, and...

Also, John "Pondoro" Taylor likely was referring to bolt action rifles and not pump guns. Not many of us have a porter to hand us a second loaded gun if we need it either :D.

I don't know about the porting on the Stoegers, though. That seems like an unwanted feature for an SD firearm.

dreamweaver

i have a stoeger s x s and a short barreled mossberg 500. either one is acceptable for HD. if i can't end the incident with 2 rounds of 00, i'll beat him to death with the gun.:D
(actually, there's a 45 on the nightstand just in case)

Fiv3

I prefer the pump for most all purposes if simply for safety. A hammerless DB is cocked by opening and closing the action. If one wants to keep on "safe" you must either store it unloaded (not slow to load but not the fastest either) or rely on the tang safety.

For me, packing a shotgun for wilderness defense. I want something that is easily brought into action, but not easily made "unsafe". My flavor of choice is a Remington 870 magnum with 4 in the tube and cruiser ready. Basically hold in the slide release, rack and go.

I certainly like the lightening quick follow up of a single trigger double offers though;)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Hammerless, auto select doubles are not as reliable as a pump IMHO...

So the only break barrel I would consider for HD is exposed hammer and one trigger per barrel.
Brent

Fifth Wheel

Go with a pump. If a side-by-side was better for killing people, our troops would have used them throughout the 20th century. They didn't. They used pumps. A pump is fast. Almost as fast as a semi-auto.

Get an 870 Police Magnum with a factory +2 extension and a bead sight, and don't look back. Make sure the LOP is 13" or shorter.

jmr40

A double has its advantages, but I'd go pump primarily for the price difference. Any double costing less than $1,000 is going to be of questionable quality and reliability. And not many people are willing to cut a $1,000 gun down.

You can get 3-4 quality pumps for that money.

bamaranger

depends

A pump gun can be a struggle for the uninitiated. Tube mag, safety, slide release, and pump forearm. I have seen some folks who really should know better, struggle w/ a pump.

A double is much simpler. A single lever breaks the gun open. Insert ctgs, or confirm its loaded. Close, disengage safety, and shoot. Repeat. Hammers may be simpler still.

For a gun guy, a pump gun is great. For use by those less familiar, the double has a much more straightforward manual of arms.

For the same reason, I believe in DA revolvers as opposed to semis.

Although I own a bunch of 12ga. pump shotguns and a couple of autos the gun that sits next to the bed is a 12ga. exposed hammer coachgun. The simple reason is that the only gun my wife will shoot is her NEF 410 youth model. She understands the exposed hammer, break action operating system and has ZERO interest in learning anthing else so this choise makes sense in our situation. She is not going to engage in room clearing or any other offensive operations but is going to fort up and wait for the cavalry. 2rounds of no4 buck in the gun and another 5 on the stock should handle this nicely.

NeroBrandt

Usually, if your in a situation where you're having to shoot inside your home and it goes past 2 shots, you're in deep s&$t...