Double Action Only

stevetuna

Poking around my favorite gun store yesterday, I came upon a Sig P220 .45 ACP that was double action only. Can anyone enlighten me to the pros / cons of DAO? Thanks.

Dave T

The pro is that you only have to learn one trigger pull instead of two.

The con is that you have to learn double action trigger control, which takes more work than learning a shorter, crisper single action trigger.

VictorLouis

Dave has the CON covered pretty well.

I just wish to toss out a few more PROs.:D

1) Nothing to de-cock(or neglect to:eek:) after you've fired the gun.
2) The DAO version of the gun typically has a MUCH smoother and lighter pull than the DA/SA version of the same model.
3) Normally, there are no external safeties to have to fumble with, or train to release unconsciously(You pick.:))
4) Usually, the DAOs have bobbed hammers, which is one less thing to snag on the draw, particularly from concealment.

bountyh

More PRO's for DAO:

1) Less chance of accidental discharge as with DA/SA where a long stiff trigger pull is followed by a short light pull.

2) You can carry a DAO with round chambered (safety off) with the same level of security as a revolver. That is, you have a long pull (fairly heavy) trigger and AD's are not that common.

This means in a crisis, the DAO is (like a revolver) a point-and-pull function only.

GSB

Some people will tell you that a DA is too hard to shoot well and not to bother. But tricked out DA revolvers were THE thing in practical handgun competition before the advent of the wonder semis (which eventually edged out the DA revolvers because of much faster reloading and a slight advantage in speed during long strings of fire).

So provided you've got a good DA trigger (that's the thing you need to be sure you get), you should be able to shoot it well. Shooting DA (smooth, long trigger pull with no "break") requires some mental adjustment if you're used to single action (short, crisp trigger pull with a clearly defined "break"), but it's not really terribly hard.

stevetuna

GSB - you've just hit the nail on the head in my case. My worst pistol shooting habit is "slapping" the trigger. Too much shotgun in my developmental years, I guess... That's why I balked at the DAO. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the day when the standard P220 ends up in my gun case!

RWK

stevetuna . . .

Imagine firing a typical Smith, Colt or Ruger revolver (SA/DA), without ever cocking the hammer. Now imagine this in an autoloader. That's DAO (double action only).

Principal pro (as stated above) is single, consistent trigger pull/feel. Biggest con (in my opinion) is the longer, heavier trigger pull in comparison, for example, to a crisp, light, 1911A1's single action.

Pampers

To quote Col. Cooper

"The DA/SA semi-suto is an ingenious solution to a nonexistant problem."

The DAO semi-suto is an attempt to correct an inherant design defect in the DA/SA semi-auto.

God, John Moses Browning and Jeff Cooper were right in the first place.

1911s FOREVER!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.