Don't quite understand Taylors and Company

idek

I'm not exactly sure of what Taylors and Company, Inc. does. I've watched Hickok45 videos in which he says the gun is loaned from them. I went to the website, and a lot of the guns they sell have the same names, specs and seemingly identical pictures as guns from Uberti and Chiappa, yet they don't label them with those brand names.

So does Taylors and Company actually make their own guns, or are they just selling guns from other makers?

I'd also read recently that Cimarron doesn't make guns, but instead takes Uberti guns and just fine tune them a little and then sell them. Is this true?

Poodleshooter

Yup
Cimarron, Taylors, EMF, Navy Arms,CVA, Traditions, etc. are primarily importers for a variety of Italian and/or Brazilian/Spanish/Turkish/Czech/Philippine made guns. It's been that way since the 1960s when Aldo Uberti supplied guns for the movies and branched out into US sales. A significant number of other US brands are importers more than manufacturers. Browning and Winchester come to mind.
The US importers provide feedback on customer's "wants", marketing, sales, warranty support and a consistent demand stream. The manufacturers don't have to do that, and are thus enabled to do what they do best: actually making guns.

idek

Thanks for the reply. It seemed a little difficult to keep track of all the different companies. It simplifies things knowing that they are basically the same guns.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
Cimarron only "tunes" specific models (via contract gunsmithing).
The greatest majority are shipped out just as they come in from Italy.
Denis

bedbugbilly

And . . . if you go to Cimarron, Taylor and UbertiUSA sites . . . you will find that some offer certain caliber/cartridges in a model that the others do not.

Designs may vary so as well. Example - Taylor and Uberti offer the small rolling block rifles. Uberti shows them with a flat butt plate - Taylor shows the with a crescent style butt plate. It all depends on how the importer wants them.