Don't look them in the eye

phil mcwilliam

I was listening to a radio interview of an Australian aboriginal "Black Tracker". These trackers are legendary in being able to follow an animals tracks even through rocky desert country, & are still used by the Australian police for tracking people through the bush. An interesting point that he made when refering to hunting was never to make eye contact with the game that you are pursuing. I'd never really thought much about this, but interesting input from an ancient peoples hunting technique.

This is very true, once you make eye contact the jig is up and you are busted. The game at that point knows for sure you are looking :eek:and will sense (if you will) the threat.(that damned sixth sense) At that point most times it is too late to do anything but watch them go bye bye at super sonic speed :eek: especially an animal that has been shot at and missed before. JMO
They say the eyes are the windows to the soul.

Kreyzhorse

An interesting point that he made when refering to hunting was never to make eye contact with the game that you are pursuing.

Totally correct. I've had several does literally walk within 3 feet of me when ground hunting. The key is, besides not moving, avoiding eye contact. When I have deer move in close, I always close my eyes but leave them open just enough to look at them through my eyelashes. The other thing I do is lower my head if possible and roll my eyes upwards. This doesn't give them a "normal" view of my face and eyes.

zahnzieh

Yeah, what is it about those mature does? Last night archery hunting saw a group of does cut across a field/marsh and sure enough "old mama" was out in front. Never travelled with the wind - at best at right angles to it. And once you get busted by one of those mature does you might as well move your tree-stand, she will remember!!

jdscholer

I think the 'eye contact thing" is important to all species, us included, on a deep primal level. It can mean several things, including danger, aggression, and even sexual availibility. Don't look em in the eye unless you want--oh never mind.:rolleyes: jd

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I too, agree there!!!
I try to keep my head downward a bit and peek, having to move my eyes up slowly. Avoid actual eye contact at all cost. It is amazing the instinct these stupid creatures possess. I developed my knowledge of this working with dogs. Head held up high making eye contact can cause a dog of alpha mentality to attack and with a determination you likely ain't ready to defend against. Posturing like you are clueless of a game animals presence is best for keeping their guard down.
Brent

jdscholer

I'm also a big believer in hat brims, and especially head nets if ya can stand to wear them. If ya can't, it just makes it easier for those of us who can.;) jd

johnsodl

I do the Jedi mind trick...

"There is nothing to fear. You may walk this way. There is no scent in the wind for you."

Works wonders.

zahnzieh

Johnsodl, Are we talking about deer or women? If it's women, I would definitely not have the scent thing going!!:D:D

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I've never tried any 'mind' stuff with game.

I have with aggressive dogs, though. Put an image in my mind of the dog mangled in a pool of blood with the ends of broken bones sticking out through his hide everywhere. The dog whimpered, put his tail between his legs and slunk off.

I've taken an entire litter of nursing puppies off the teats of a Doberman bitch who had never seen me before using the same mind image technique. She cringed on the mat while I was taking those puppies.

So, this kind of stuff might work to some degree with wild animals, I don't know.

This stuff doesn't work with horses. They'll still run off a bluff to get away from a blowing leaf.