Don't like S&W (autoloaders)

Just curious, who else dislikes S&W semi-autos? I had nothing but troubles with the 2 models I owned (I sold both at a huge loss). If you do a search, you can find out more about my troubles (I've posted the problems of my S&W autoloaders many times). But, I'd like to see how many others have gotten POS lemons from S&W( semi-autos)?

bk40

Quantum Singularity,

Off the top of my head I can recall having owned at least 5 S&W semi-autos. All were 3rd gen, good guns, completely reliable... The only one I really disliked was a 4516 and my only gripe was its weight. I regret not hanging on to a 3913 I picked up used a year or so back. The one negative to me about Smiths are the slick delrin grips, not that I like a mag disconnect or slide mounted safety/decocker...

Now, this does not include the 2 945s I own nor my m41 :)

Cougar

I have had just the opposite experience with my S&W autos.

My first was a first generation 9mm, a 39-2. I loved that gun! I still kick myself for trading that one away. I fell for the hype over the supposed improvements of the 3rd gen models and bought a 4006.

The 39 had a much better trigger than the 4006. It was lighter (alloy frame) and fit my hand better with the curved backstrap, not to mention the fact that it had a thinner grip being a single stack.

I have taken the 4006 to a Smith 'smith to try to improve the trigger, and while he did improve it somewhat, the 39's is still better.

The design of the 3rd gen Smiths at least allows the grip to be thinner than the first and second generation model doublestacks, so at least it doesn't feel like I'm holding on to a 2x4 piece of lumber. I agree with Quantum about the Durlin factory grips of the 3rd gen being too slick. I have tried Hogue wood and Hogue rubber aftermarket grips, finally settling on the rubber version. While adding just a tad in width, they are much better for slip-resistance and soft enough to allow a better recoil attenuation. They even are slightly curved on the backstrap so that makes them fit better (for me). For those of us with smallish hands, I wish Smith would make a single stack .40, both full size and compact, and bring back a full-size single stack 9mm as well. Then I'd be a happy camper.

The weight factor of the all-stainless gun was my own fault. I thought the stainless frame would allow the gun to hold up better than the alloy frame. The alloy frame on my first 39 was getting rather beat up where the barrel lug slams into it on firing. With the greatly inceased power level of the .40 I was really concerned about that being worse. I suppose my first 39 just needed a new recoil spring.

As you might have guessed, I have gotten another 39. I had to look for several years before finding a good one at a good price. I still had to pay more for this new used one than I had paid for my original one bought new back in the mid '70s! Now to find a set of factory grips for it....

Rob96

Not to doubt you Quantum, but I didn't have any problems with the S&W 909 that I owned. It was completely and totally reliable and accurate to boot. I used it for a state certification course and shot a perfect score by 4 points. I beat other guys with Sigs and Glocks, not knocking their guns. I do however own a Ruger P94 which I shoot even better, plus I like the fact that Ruger over-engineers their products. Sorry I can't help you with your quest to find other dissatisfied owners.

Wally

Smith Autos

Over the years I 've owned something over 20 Smith autos. An early 639 was very inaccurate, and I sent it back to Smith and took it to a couple of smiths, none of whom were of any help so I finally sold it.A later 639 gave me no problems.

A 3913 lost its accuracy after a couple of hundred rounds, so I sent it back to Smith who replaced the frame.

The others have mostly been trouble free and among the best guns I've owned.I have to admit I don't use them hard and usually shoot light loads,but most have been more accurate than any of the other autos I've owned.From what I've heard I'm not sure my experience is typical.-Wally

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've owned 4 or 5 over the years. Carried a 659 for a while; its only real "defect" (which it shared with the 4006 I owned, as well as every CZ and full-sized Taurus) was its bank vault-like weight. While I really love the original 39's, the 3913's, the new Chief's Special autos, and a few other specific models, for the most part *&* autopistols really don't do that much for me. I mourn their passing though; they made the best wheelguns on the planet. :(

deanf

I've owned 3. Two 6906s and one 4576. I thought they were great. Have since liquidated them all; the most recent one of the 6906s because after their deal with the gov't, carrying it made me feel dirty. It's a shame to, because the pistol in question was ultra-reliable.

riverdog

S&W459 & a M-41

I've still got the M-41 but it requires high velocity ammo to eject reliably and isn't reliable feeding .22 PowerPoints. The 459 didn't feel right to me but a friend of mine liked it so I gave it to him for Christmas (this was a while back when private tranafers were no big deal). Anyway a Ruger 22/45 is my primary .22 paper puncher now, reliable with anything and just as accurate as the M-41. My only S&W acquisitions lately have been older models such as models 18, 27, 28, 29 and I'd like to find a four inch M-19 but that will take another disgruntled owner to make an anti-S&W statement. But back to your question, since I found Glocks I haven't seen much in the current S&W line that makes me need to pull out my checkbook.

N2GUNZ

S & W semis

I have a S&W 9MM, model 915, that I bought 8 years ago. I have never had a single problem with it. It has never had a jam and it is very accurate. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been a great gun.

I've NEVER been crazy about them.

I think they're ergonomically challenged, I don't like the safety location or operation, I think they are generally WAY overpriced, and they just don't have the same kind of esthetic appeal to me that the revolvers do. I also think that given the price and the stature of the company that they can be a little too unreliable.

The exceptions to the above, for me, are the 3913 and the full-size .45. They're still way too expensive, but those two guns for some reason work for me where as the others in the S&W semi-auto line-up don't.

Richard

CS 45

After getting a trigger job my CS 45 has been perfect. Do I have any complaints? Yes, the CS 45, like its owner, is a little too wide. Regards, Richard

J. Parker

I've had nothing but good experiences with the ones I've owned. Minor negatives- the mod 4006 and the mod 5906 we're oh so heavy. I had two mod 457's- reliable and easy to carry. The biggest problem I've had was recently trying to sell or trade a mod 457. Because of the political climate I couldn't give that thing away. One gunshop offered me I believe it was something like $220 for it. If you try to trade or sell S&W semi's you get hosed. Best Regards, J. Parker

J. Parker, I sold my 457 for only 150 dollars and my 4516 for only 200! Both were in near mint condition. I would have been estatic to get 220. But, I honestly told the buyer that it had horrible reliability problems and I was honest about all the parts breakages... he simply wanted to take the chance that they would work better for him.

Although it costs me money, there is no substitute for honesty (I would have done the same thing again if I try to sell "lemons").

J. Parker

Well, for me, S&W auto's are a thing of the past. With their politics and all there's just too many other nice auto pistols on the market. I do love my Mod 657 41 maggie however. Oh well. Best, J. Parker

Brasso

I had a 1076 that was pure garbage. It shot 1ft low at 15yds regardless of ammo, and the trigger would sometimes slip the sear. Thought about buying one of their 9mm's from my father, but it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn either. I don't think I'll ever trust one enough to carry it.

Gewehr98

I can't think of anybody who would turn down a Model 52 if given the opportunity to have one. (VERY pre-sellout-agreement, by the way)

Same goes for the Model 41.

Perhaps the new Model 952 is just as sweet as it's parent Model 52?

Granted, these are not your run-of-the-mill S&W autos...

corv

Have a 3913 TSW that I bought new in Nov,99.Pistol would not print on a target @ 3 yards.Sent it back to the factory and got all new parts except for the frame.Shoots fine now,however got a Glock 19 while 3913 was in repair.19 was dead on right out of the box.Will probably never buy a S&W auto again. YMMV

JohnK007

I've been carrying a Smith product daily for over 20 years. From K & N frame wheelguns to the full and medium size self-loaders. Sure, there have been bumps along the way but never had a real problem. Carry a 6906 today. BTW, I know of one instance where the mag disconnect safety saved a Trooper's life. To me the mag safety is what sets the S&W apart. Wouldn't carry a duty gun without one.

K-9

I really like the 1st generation models-39,59.I just can't get the 3rd gen.models to work for me.Bought a few, the last being a 457. No problems with any of them. The more I shoot them,the more I don't like the grip shape. I also have a 41,looking for a 52-2. Anyone who hasn't shot a 52, should. That 952 looks interesting. My 2 cents.