Don't die!

Cougar

Yesterday the news reported that 'Police siezed an arsenal from a suburban home' near Cleveland.

A man had called 911 because he was having a heart attack, The paras arrive too late to save the guy. They are 'shocked' at the number of weapons in the house so they call the police.

The police sieze all of the guns, ammo and MREs that the guy had in the house. According to the news report there were 'hundreds of military rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition'. The TV cameras showed the police carrying the rifles outside where they were uncerimoniously thrown into the back of the van. The police claim they are 'securing the weapons pending any claim from relatives.'

Most of the rifles were WW2 Enfields .303 British, but I also saw several paratrooper .30 carbines with folding stocks as well.

They claim the man was a loner and don't know if he has any relatives in the area.

The talking heads were questioning the legality of having military rifles and the number of guns a person can have. Typical hysteria-mongering!

Gee, I would love to have my valued collection dinged up by the cops, how about you?

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

[This message has been edited by Cougar (edited June 09, 2000).]

Jay Baker

That's just your friendly LEOs serving and protecting and "saving the children."

"Constitution? Duuuh, what dat?? Gid oudda my way or I'll bust you nose and throw ya in jail!"

J.B.

Herodotus

I don't doubt for am moment that you local press is disgusting. So is mine.
But the police were right to secure this poor dead man's weapon's, I think, just as long as they really do go to the rightful heirs and do not "get lost" along the way.

Jeff Thomas

Well, if they were carelessly thrown in the back of a van, I'm not sure I buy the 'securing the weapons' story.

Regards from AZ

CindyH

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The talking heads were questioning the legality of having military rifles and the number of guns a person can have. [/quote]

that's the part that gets me. "The number of guns a person can have"??????

Well, how many hands does/did this guy have? Who cares how many guns he had? He can't use them all at one time (well, maybe if he rigs it right :D).
I know this lady who's obsessive-compulsive and washes her hands until the top layer of skin is gone. how many bars of soap is a person legally allowed to have? As many as they want, as long as they don't hurt anyone else. (sorry for the wierdness, but I think RKBA stands for Right to Keep and Bear Arms, not Right to Keep and Bear *A few* arms)Ok, I'll shut up now before I need to borrow someone's medication :D :D :D

Jay Baker

With the attitude of some LEOs, like those who threw the guns in the back of a van, I can guarantee you, some of those guns will be "lost along the way."

If the report had read, "The firearms were catalogued by a Sgt., and then carefully placed in gun cases, and those without cases were wrapped in blankets and carefully placed in the rear of a police van..." then I might agree with the "wanted to merely secure them," statement.

But, no way, will some of those cops not steal some of those guns. That's the way it works, in modern day "gun hating, Constitution hating" departments. You can bet their Chief gave tham all "attaboys," and probably went on teeeeveeee to smirk, "We got those guns off the street, in order to save the CHILDREN!"

FWIW. J.B.

bruels

I don't know how it works in Ohio, but in California the property of the deceased is taken into custody by the coroner, not the police. The coroner will attempt to locate the family of the deceased and turn the property over to the person authorized by law to take custody of the property. If no family can be located, then the public administrator receives the property and disposes of the property in accordance with the probate code.

The public administrator is responsible to the probate court to get the best possible price for the decedent's property, and pay the decedent's bills. Any remaining funds are deposited with the county treasurer and if no surviving relatives are located within a certain period of time, the state escheats the money and it goes into the state's general fund.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
[sarcasm]
I believe it is wonderful they took all those assault weapons, assault bullet thingies, and those OH so dangerous military MRE things! Oh my! What if some child had found a "meal" that was intended only for the military! Oh my!
[/sarcasm]

So much for the Fourth Amendment.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited June 15, 2000).]

Cougar

Boy am I glad that the General Discussion board is back! :D

I haven't heard any more on this case. I may have to do some investigating on my own. Now that the guns have been siezed, it isn't 'shocking' enough to make the media twitch.

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

Cougar

Gary,

Read first sentence of original post again. DOH! ;)

I suppose I could have said Cleveland Ohio, but I always thought that was a given unless stated otherwise.

As for the lack of care shown in the handling of the guns, I am appalled. Even the vendors of obviously borderline junk surplus guns at the gun shows I frequent take more care than that. The one vendor must have several hundred guns and all go into cases, albeit homemade. He has old blankets folded over lengthwise, then sewn crosswise every 8-10 inches or so. This creates little sleeves that the guns slide in to, then the whole thing is rolled up. Then he loads that into the back of his van. How hard can that be? I'm sure the guy had something like that laying around if the cops would have bothered to look! :rolleyes:

buzz_knox

Weapons the cops didn't want to steal were tossed in the van. Weapons they do want to steal were placed carefully in the van or in the appropriate squad cars. As for the MREs, you can bet those are already gone.