Donor Candidate???

Saltydog235

I've been considering doing a rifle build for some time but have never really gotten serious about it. I have a Savage Model 111 package gun that I bought to help a guy out that was in the midst of a divorce, his wife had sold all of his guns out from under him but this one and he needed money for a shotgun. I've been trying to sell the gun, a 30'06, for some time for $325.00, which is all that I have in it.

I know that there are, or think that I do, .308 platforms based on the long action but has anyone ever heard of a LA 7mm-08. I really like that caliber and want a heavy barrelled tactical style gun with a fiberglass stock and parkerized finish. I've been looking but don't see another option for doing something like this without spending major cash for a fully custom built rifle. Would this action be a candidate for a donor? I'd of course change the trigger group, stock, barrel and about everything else. Or am I overlooking a factory gun that would offer me the same thing?

I have a contact that was a PI USMC armorer but don't want to bug him with a 1000 questions if its not feasable.

Scorch

While I am not a fan of how Savage rifles look, they shoot very well and are a good candidate for a donor action for a custom build. There are many parts available for them and they are relatively simple to do a good build on.

dwwhite

Actually, there is an advantage to using the long action for conversion to a short cartridge, especially a 7-08. With that long mag well, you can use some of those super long 7mm bullets now available without using up all of your case capacity. This is why it has become popular to build 6.5-.284s on long actions as well. With proper twist rates those longer bullets are awesome at long range.