Done it again..S&W nickel...anyone know value??

DiscoRacing

Stopped and talked to a friend at a near market...was only there for 15 or 20 minutes,,but was just long enough for someone to temp my handgun fate. Just was curious if anyone knows the actual fair market value..says S&W model 19-5 .357mag nickel...doesnt appear to be shot very much.

100_2919.jpg

gearchecker

Nice Wheelgun

It's worth somewhere around $550-$600. Maybe $650 if it's in pristine condition with absolutly no rust or finish speckling.
The target stocks on it are valuable in themselves.
The only way it can be worth much more than that is if it has the original box, tools and paperwork.
Most S&W handguns don't ever appear to be shot much, if the owner(s) took care of it and kept it cleaned and oiled regularly.
I have a Model 14 that's had over 5,000 rounds fired thru it, and it still looks almost new. I had a Model 19 that was never fired and had some really tiny rust specks on it. You never know what you're really getting as far as actual use goes once it's been fired outside of the factory.
Go thru the sticky here on how to judge it's condition, and you'll get an idea how good it is.

Nice looking wheelgun. It's a keeper for sure.
The model 19 revolver is the .357 revolver that all .357's are judged against.
Nickel finish is common in this model.

18DAI has an expression I'll borrow here.
"Model 19 Combat Magnum. Everything you need in a handgun, and nothing you don't."

BigJimP

Model 19's are very popular ...it looks like a 6" ...so I'm going to say about $ 600 - $700 in my area. Blued / it would be about $50 - $100 less usually.

CWPinSC

When the 19 was made, the mold was broke. It was, and still is, an industry standard. You can get a couple of trigger and hammer options for it, and there are numerous grips, both S&W and other brands. You can tailor the gun to fit your hand. My nickle 4" 19 is a honey to shoot and I like the "big boom" of 158 gr. loads. I've installed the "target" wide hammer spur and trigger and the large "combat" grips on mine. I'm about to order a set of lightweight Wolff springs for it.

You can't go wrong with a 19. Price? Anywhere from $450-$650 depending. As many have already said, you can shoot 1000's of rounds through it, and, with proper cleaning and maintenance, it'll still look almost new.

Last edited:

Eagleks

Are you certain that's a 19-2 ?

I'm not sure of the differences, but sure looks just like a 27-2, is why I ask.

Webleymkv

Are you certain that's a 19-2 ?

I'm not sure of the differences, but sure looks just like a 27-2, is why I ask.

The gun pictured is certainly not a M27. M27's have tapered rather than heavy barrels and shorter cylinders which do not fill up the frame window as much as the gun shown. The biggest difference between the M27 and M19 is the frame upon which each revolver is built. The M27 is built on the large N-Frame while the M19 is built on the much smaller K-Frame.

robctwo

I just bought a 19-3 from a nice guy on GB. Excellent condition. $550 OTD from my local ffl.

I haven't been much of a revolver guy. Got out Dad's 10-6 after he passed away and started shooting it. Decided to get another revolver or three. The 19-3 is a very sweet shooter, especially with lighter loads.

CWPinSC

The 19-3 is a very sweet shooter, especially with lighter loads.

I believe S&W has a caveat against continuous use of light loads in this model. You might want to check it out. I run 158 gr. in mine.

DiscoRacing

Since I have two .357s already... I actually wasnt gonna shoot this one... will be the first one in my collection that I dont plan on shooting.

BigJimP

Its your gun - and you should certainly do what you want ...

My 357's ( pair of model 19's both nickel - both 4", a pair of model 66's both 4", a 686 6", a model 27-2 6" blued, a model 28-2 6" blued ) and they all get shot from time to time - and since they have all been shot by previous owners - the value doesn't go down as long as I take care of them ...in my opinion. I'm currently looking for a model 27-2 4" Nickel ...and I'll shoot it too when I find it ....

I just can't bring myself to buy guns that I'm not willing to have some fun shooting with them !

zippy13

Big Jim, my friend, judging from your collection, it seems a gun follows you home from one of your LGSs more often than not. :rolleyes: ;)