Dominant rifle models in Palma vs ISSF 300m?

MC_MuHyeon

Hi. I've done some internet surfing on rifle matches with iron sights only and came across those two competition events. The rules for those two shooting events seem pretty similar, but I see that preferred rifle models are not always same (in ISSF 300m, European models from Bleiker, etc. are popular while in Palma match, people usually upgrade American models like Win 70, Rem 700, etc.). Why is this so?

Bart B.

There's no difference in the accuracy either can attain at 300 meters. 3 position stock shape is not best for prone only.

And if a USA person is shooting international Palma matches with issued arsenal ammo, a 3 or 4 lug bolt action is better for accuracy. 3 lug Stolle Panda's are popular in the USA. I have a 4 lug Paramount from England. Barnard actions from New Zealand and Musgrave from South Africa are also excellent choices.

Do any Bleiker rifles in 308 caliber have 30 inch 1:13 twist barrels and 3.5 pound triggers? Will they test 2/3 MOA at 1000 yards with handloaded 155 grain Palma bullets?

Bottom line.... You can have a complete custom Palma rifle built on a Stolle Panda action for about half the cost of a Bleiker. And it won't shoot hand loads any more accurate than one based on an old Winchester or Remington action trued up.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

300 meters is very short range for Palma. Palma rifles are custom built single shots, in .223 or .308 and weigh around 14 to 15 pounds.
ISSF(Olympics) is shot with American made rifles too. (Mind you, ISSF is getting away from real firearms in favour of air power for political reasons. Lotta countries have outlawed real firearms for civilians.). Anyway, the difference is the 'I'. The 'I' standing for International. So where the match is being run matters. Like Bart says, it's about money.
Oh and NRA High Power is shot with irons sights too.
The best thing for a new shooter to do is go to as many different types of match as you can to find the one that appeals to you most. And that you can afford.