Dominant Eye disagrees with my Shooting Style

LloydXmas250

I took a hunter safety course earlier this year and found out something a little troubling about me. I've always been the weird kid who writes, eats and bats left handed, but does absolutely everything else right handed. Throw, shoot baskets, punch, cut with scissors and most importantly shoot. However at this course they taught us how to tell our dominant eye and low and behold, my left eye is dominant. Shooting rifles is no problem as I keep my left eye closed, but shotguns and pistols I try to keep both eyes open as I should. I have noticed I am much much less accurate with pistols and shotguns relatively speaking. I understand rifles are more accurate in general but I'm talking about overall. Easy shotgun shooting like trap is an adventure for me. Plinking with pistols at 10 yds is also interesting to say the least. Is there anything I can do to help my problem or does it even affect me as much as I think it does? I'm sure others have this problem and I'd like to know some tips on how to get around it. Thanks.

kraigwy

Disregard which is yourdominant eye. Wear an eye patch, for tape up the dominant eye part of your shooting glasses,

If you can only see out of one eye, then its your dominant eye.

Deaf Smith

"If your eye is your problem, pluck it out! Better to....".

Yea I know who said that but you are going to have to find a way to get the left (eye) to work with the right (hand) as plucking it out is gonna hurt.

You might try cocking the head to one side abit so the left eye gets behind the sights.

LloydXmas250

I've tried leaning my head over but with the shotgun it's tough especially with the recoil. I will probably just cover the glasses on that eye. I would just like to shoot with both eyes open. Guess it's just not meant to be. I shoot with shoulders squared. Can't remember if that's weaver or isosceles. Thanks for the tips.

oneounceload

Either relearn how to shoot with your dominant eye on your dominant side, or you can wear a "fuzzy dot" on your lens.

The only issue with relearning - you need to make sure your eye dominance doesn't change - there are folks whose eyes switch dominance now and again.

Several folks I shoot sporting clays use some form of dot to blur their off dominant eye, making their weaker eye do the work

LloydXmas250

What do you mean by fuzzy dot? Literally a fuzzy dot or is this some kind of thing specific to shooting? Is it supposed to just blur vision in that eye or completely blind that eye?

TenRing

If you shoot right handed and close the left eye, your right eye should be seeing the correct sight picture. Even though your left eye is dominant the right eye should give you the correct sight picture because the left eye is closed. Try this with the shotgun and you should get the same results that you get with the rifle.

For handgunning, try looking through the sights to the target with both eyes open. Practice this until you get tunnel vision from the rear sight to the front sight and onto the target. It should work.

LloydXmas250

Yeah. I know that I can close one eye and then the other is dominant but I'd like to shoot the shotgun as I should with both eyes open. It's more relaxing for me with both eyes open better my accuracy is way down. Closing the eye gets so old and strains it. I'll probably end up covering the eye with either a patch or glasses.

oneounceload

These folks use some high $$$$ shooting glasses so they're not going to use vaseline or similar to smear their lens. The "fuzzy dots" are a peel-n-stick type of device that they will place in a particular location on their lens of their glasses. It makes their weaker eye on their strong-shooting side do the work instead of having their dominant eye on their off hand take over. With shotguns on clay targets, it makes the difference between hitting and missing

LloydXmas250

I'll have to look into that. I don't know why but when I close an eye shooting trap I feel stressed and enjoy myself a lot less. When I open it I feel relieved and relaxed yet I hit 50% less. I hate being weird.

Rob Pincus

Eye dominance is a non-issue for pistol shooting guys.

The proof of this is all of the Tests that are used to determine eye dominance. The reason that your "thumb covers the spot" or your can "see the dot through the hole" when you use any of the Hand At Extension methods to determine eye dominance is because your brain automatically puts your hand/thumb/hole/whatever in front of your dominant eye. The same thing happens with your pistol as long you are over-thinking it and trying to do something on purpose.

With a Long Gun eye dominance is a very big deal because of the Stock being attached to your body. When the stock is against your torso, only one eye can actually be behind the sights/optics, if you have mounted the gun on the "strong" side with your "weak" eye, you will have a potentially harder time using the sights. If you have a significant difference in visual acuity, it might be worth mounting the gun on your "weak" side in front of the "strong" eye in some cases. The good news is that the four points of contact you get with a long gun (foregrip, trigger hand, butt of stock and cheek weld) can mitigate some of the lack of coordination you get from having your weaker hand as the primary control.

Unfortunately, the relevance of eye dominance in long gun shooting has ubiquitously been mis-applied to pistol shooters.

-RJP

twice barrel

Learn to shoot left-handed when its the most appropriate. Don't fight your dominant eye. Shooting is a hand-eye coordinated effort. You can become accustomed to function left-handed but you cannot change your dominant eye.

Besides, there are times when its an advantage...archery and batting come to mind. :D

Regards,

TB

BeerSleeper

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this. I used to be right eye dominant. In 2002, I had a detached retina in my right eye, which was surgically repaired. This left me with approximately 20/400 (uncorrected) vision in that eye, (corrected to 20/20 on a good day...20/40 on a bad day). As part of recovery from that surgery, I had no usable vision from my right eye, for about 8 weeks, as that is how long it took, post-operatively, for the eye to fill back up with fluid. Until it filled back up, I could only tell light from dark, or see fuzzy bubbles when it was part full. Super creepy. I don't recommend it.

When I could see again with the eye, it took a long time for my "stereo vision" to come back. I would get headaches/double vision, as I had gone months without two eyes working together.

Since then, either my dominant eye changes on a daily/random basis, or I have no definitively dominant eye. I've done every "dominant eye" every "shooter joe" will tell you at a gun club, and my eye doctors own test. I can test twice, 5 minutes apart, and get a different result.

I just shoot what feels comfortable to me. I shoot sporting clays, right handed, both eyes, and consistently shoot in the upper 60%-lower70% range (which is better than I ever shot pre-op).

I bought my first pistol in February, and have wondered how I should shoot it. I have tried different things in several shooting sessions. I always shoot pistol two-handed, right hand as my strong (trigger) hand. I have tried, but cannot get comfortable shooting left-side strong.

What I have been able to do, is shoot right side strong, over either my left, or right eye. The difference between how I shoot each way, is negligible.

Sorry for so much rambling for the setup to my question...
Shooting something, like a pistol, which is shot from outstreched arm (as opposed to a shouldered rifle), is there any reason not to shoot right handed, over the opposite eye?

mwar410

A small piece of scotch tape will work, properly placed it will only block the bead/sight on the dominate eye. You'll need to give it some time to become comfortable with it. after awhile you don't even notice it, until you shoot without it.

jhenry

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot everything right handed, but I use my right eye with long guns, and my left eye for hand guns. Shooting with both eyes open has never worked for me at all.

DZcarry

I'm also left eye dominant/right handed.

I have no problem with pistols at all. I simply tilt my head to the left so that my left eye is looking down the barrel. I've never had a problem with hitting my target with fairly tight groups.

With rifles, I always shoot strong side and use a blocker attached to the sights to block my left eye. Also no problems.

Now shotguns are an entirely different story. I'm still trying to figure out what to do there. I can hit the target, but never dead on. Closing my left eye skews the sight picture. Maybe I'll try the fuzzy dot method...

BeerSleeper

What does one do with one's eyes, when shooting a handgun, if one intends to shoot according to "proper shooting form"?

I've been shooting one eye open.

I shoot shotguns both eyes open, I find the depth perception helps my shots, and I've done it so long that way it just feels natural.

I can't get comfortable shooting handguns with both eyes open, but I haven't tried much. Until this thread, I never realized closing one eye might actually be improper technique.

dfe2240

Every person adjusts a bit differently to any given situation, so you have to determine which solution works best for you. I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and I've found the best solution is to shoot (handguns) left handed. In my opinion, the problem with shooting cross dominant is that head position will vary more than if you shoot inline. Another consideration is that if you have to respond to a situation quickly, you will naturally sight with your dominant eye. That being the case, it makes sense to practice using your dominant eye and develop shooting skills with the hand that matches that eye.