Doing something super weird. Thoughts?

ballisticxlr

I decided to try something a lot odd. The Strike Industries Cookie Cutter compensator is normally found on AR pistols and the occasional carbine but I decided to try one out on my 25.5" barreled 6XC PRS gun.

My last barrel in .243AI ran a JP tactical brake and was known to be an exceptionally loud monster even by the standards of the sport. That brake was ok but it's a 30cal brake and so not as efficient as it could be for a 6mm. I thought about going with the Hellfire or a Chode or Little Bastard or Jet Blast brakes but I don't like rear facing ports one bit and before going to a narrow profile brake, I wanted to check out the efficiency of a wide profile brake.

Knowing that baffle surface area in the first baffle is the easiest source of reduced recoil impulse, I found the widest brake I could. Having the bullet channel with tight clearances helps efficiency so I got the .223 version which, if there's enough meat to do it... I checked and there should be, I'll have the 1/2x28 threads cut out and 5/8x24 threads put in. If not, i can still have my barrel set up with 1/2x28 threads. The .260" exit hole is very snug and should help with efficiency but I wouldn't trust it to be centered perfectly so I'll have my smithy verify that. If it's too big a difference we'll have to fill and drill.

So, any bets on how unpleasant this should end up being for the shooter and separately for bystanders? With 39.5gr of RL-23 it should be exciting no matter what considering what it looks like with 24 grains of 4895 from a .223rem.

NOTE: Not me, not my video. You gotta admire a brake that works so well that a big guy like that can rock a machine gun and his fat don't even jiggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdd-dCfs3dI