Doing some exploring of GUnshops south of Richmond

Doc Hoy

Found a guy who had an old Hopkins and Allen revolver in .38 S&W.

Revolver looks like heck but it is tight as a drum. Fully functional. It'll be a project to pretty this thing up. The good news is that the grips are perfect.

Doc Hoy

This revolver is a "Forehand DA" model

The grips are Forehand and Wadsworth, probly made sometime around the turn of the last Century.

H and A had arrangements with F and W from sometime around 1900. The company folded in 1916.

I got this pistol and a U.S. Revolver .22 caliber in pieces for 50.00. The .22 is complete but needs repair in order to operate. This one was fired several times by the guy who owned it.

Doc Hoy

DD1

I think this one was made after smokeless was pretty well established.

H&A was in Norwich, CT so I am thinking the design was built on Smokeless

Doc Hoy

If I ever shoot it, though

It'll only be after I verify the caliber for sure and it'll be with black powder. The owner told me it was .38S&W but that caliber is nowhere on the pistol.

Doc Hoy

Did a little cleaning up

I smoothed up the finish and hit it with some cold blue.

And the other side

This revolver is definitely a .38 S&W.

It is excellent mechanical condition.

I may have to buy the dies for the round and start reloading them.

Doc Hoy

Finished working on the .22....

...that I got with these two revolvers.

The .22 was in pieces with everything present but the trigger spring. I have been fretting over this trigger spring for about three weeks.

There are none to be had anywhere that I was able to find.

I have been putzing around with springs I have in the shop. Trying to cobble something together that returns the trigger enough to pick up the hammer and hand. The original is a "U" shaped spring and I was even thinking about buying some spring stock from Ajax Wire and making my own spring.

Final got a brainstorm. We all have extensive experience with the Colt and Remington springs for trigger and bolt. I have about half a dozen of them laying around. So I drilled the frame of the .22 and tapped it to accept a 8-32 screw like is found in the Colts and Remingtons. I had to make the head of the screw much smaller in both diameter and height so as to fit under the trigger guard. I cut one of the trigger bolt springs down. Put it together and it works like a champ.

I know that these two revolvers have essentially very little value. But I sure do enjoy working on them.

The .22 has one broken grip. I am thinking about making grips up from either Lucite or walnut.

Doc Hoy

TK

I am waiting on photos of the .22 for the grips to get finished.

I decided on white Lucite as the material. I made them up last night.

need to do a little smoothing up.

Photos in a coupla days.