Dog Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainah

I've seen several threads devoted to this over the years, I've got what I think is a unique twist. I own a 26 pound Boston Terrier and I walk him on a leash. An hour ago we were a block from home when three pit bulls ran down a driveway and surrounded me.

I had time to pick my dog up, that's it. Then we were surrounded, fortunately the dogs were relatively friendly and their owner was right there and extremely apologetic. I walked away a little shaken, but me and my dog are fine.

But I've had other encounters with large off-leash dogs in the past. And given that mine is small I'm always going to pick him up, and while that offers him some protection it then leaves us both vulnerable. He's 26 pounds of muscle, and not content to rest calmly in my arms.

So how can I effectively defend both of us while he struggles in my arms and one or more dogs is trying to get him? Seems like the worst possible scenario for my 642, especially in a populated area. Any ideas? Thanks.

K_Mac

Pepper spray is my solution. I always carry both spray and a pistol. A couple of blasts of a quality spray will convince even the most aggressive dog to find something else to do. Usually one will do. I use Fox spray.

Mainah

Thanks, that's an option. But I worry about wind and disabling myself. How do you train to deploy spray under duress?

jmhyer

Consider a foam rather than a spray. Easier to place the product where you want it and not where you don't want it.

NateKirk

If the dog is not actively killing anything I suggest you just let them do their business. Most dogs are not running up to eat you or your pets, but simply want to say hello. Just let them sniff and horse around with your dog a bit and see where it goes before you whip out the pepper spray, because more likely than not, if you pepper spray someones dog for no reason, you're going to have to deal with an angry owner as well. Understanding how dogs think is a better defense than pepper spray IMO; people can be clueless around dogs and both parties suffer for it.

Mainah

Didn't know they made foam, can you recommend a brand? I got a telescoping night stick a few years ago, but carrying it is illegal here.

As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed. First it was the Rottweiler, then Doberman Pinscher, and now it's Pitbulls. You didn't say anything bad, but just trying to nip it while I can. I've seen way too many Pitbulls get shot here in Miami because they've been outlawed. Doesn't stop us from having them though. Like guns? Ha...

Anyways, if you do have any fears of being attacked by large dogs or them grabbing hold of yours. I would say pepper spray / mace as your best bet. There are many highly debatable ways to deter a dog that is not trained to attack, but again. They're debatable and I don't want to open up that can of worms. So... Mace.

Mainah

I've owned Rottweilers, a German Shepard, and a Doberman. This is not an anti-breed thread, more importantly this is not a dog forum. Just looking for advice.

lunger

Three dogs off leash of any breed surrounding you constitutes a threat. I assume you were not on his property.

Pepper spray would be a good first option.

As for dealing with an angry owner, it is his responsibility to keep his dogs under control

K_Mac

Thanks, that's an option. But I worry about wind and disabling myself. How do you train to deploy spray under duress?

You have to be aware of the wind, and move accordingly. I am very familiar with dogs, and will always give them a chance to have their say without escalating the aggression. Some dogs will not be reasoned with. I hike and run regularly, and have had a couple that I would have had to shoot if I wasn't carrying spray. That will be my position with an owner who takes offense at me spraying his unleashed, aggressive dog. The dog will get over the spray with no real harm done, and learn a valuable lesson in the process.

dahermit

As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed.
Do the research-see the stats. They are not like other dogs.http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/Dog_Attacks_1982-2006_Clifton.pdf
http://www.livescience.com/27145-are-pit-bulls-dangerous.html

I always am armed (.38 Special Snub, even on my own property), will not hesitate to defend against dogs, especially a pitbull(s). Why pitbull owners seem put-off by this begs the question: Why do you think that I have to risk being attacked by your pitbull?

zincwarrior

I have very strong pepper spray-the kind that is sprayed in a stream. Its worked on a husky before, and I carry it in my hand when I walk the dogs.

However I view pit bulls as a threat to myself as well. I would be sad but would not hesitate to put one down.

Mainah

I get that the breed can inflict more damage than most, but that doesn't give me magic powers that can deliver accurate shots with one hand while several dogs are jumping to get the one I'm holding.

Seems like this scenario could also apply if you're walking a small child. If you have at least one arm occupied with a struggling target, what is the best means of defense against aggressive dogs?

Lprmcnit

In Eric Haney's book, Inside Delta Force, he talks about using a mix of household ammonia and water in a squirt gun.

K_Mac

Fox makes a couple of different delivery streams. The more narrow stream might work, but the last narrow stream I had from another manufacturer produced such a tiny stream hitting a target was difficult at best. I use the standard stream recommend for civilian use.

There is no magic answer to your question. Pepper spray, gel, or mace are the best answers in my opinion. I understand your concerns. I regularly walk with my little dog, grandkids and wife. When I do my radar has to be operating at a high level. Three attackers, whether two or four legged is a difficult situation. Stop one and the others might decide to find something else to do. With spray you might be able to get all three. If nothing else it might give you the time to draw and fire your handgun. It is the reason I practice using a one hand grip at times. Good luck.

Pahoo

Expect the best and prepare for the worst !!!

As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed.
Then why is it that many municipalities have passed laws that no Pitbulls or Rottweilers are allowed within the city limits. A friend of mine was a dog-catcher for three cities that have such laws and on his own initiative, gave the owner 48hrs. to get rid of the dog. He knew their game and kept an eye on these owners. Some got the point, the hard way. .... :rolleyes:

In Eric Haney's book, Inside Delta Force, he talks about using a mix of household ammonia and water in a squirt gun.

Hope you didn't buy that book as I can tell your from personal experience that it had little effect during my encounters. If we are going to give advice on any spray product, you better make sure it works. It can be a matter of life and death. ..... :mad:

Just let them sniff and horse around with your dog a bit and see where it goes before you whip out the pepper spray,
NOT !!!

Last edited:

NateKirk

Pahoo, you obviously do not understand dogs. If one is running up to you or your pet it is unlikely that it is doing so because it needs to kill something. Pepper spraying a dog just because it approaches you is making the mistake of not processing all the information. You can always be ready, but you have no right to act until there is cause to do so.

Quote:
Then why is it that many municipalities have passed laws that no Pitbulls or Rottweilers are allowed within the city limits.

For the same reason that they've passed laws banning switchblades, absinthe, and Where's Waldo books; because they have to cater to scarred soccer moms who know absolutely nothing about the matter, but are terrified because they were fed a 30 second story by a sensationalist media.

As for dealing with an angry owner, it is his responsibility to keep his dogs under control

That angry owner is going to be focused on the fact that you just "hurt" his animals, and is going to care little about who is responsible in the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.