Does your range sell reloading components/gear?

Does your range have reloading components/gear?

• Yes, anything and everything you could want

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • No, nothing

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • Yes, they carry components but no equipment

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Yes, they carry equipment but no components

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay24bal

I am curious to find out how many ranges out there sell reloading components/gear?

Here in Cleveland and at the 3 indoor ranges I frequent, I have yet to see any ranges carry any reloading gear. Now, the one I shoot at on my lunch breaks carries a small assortment of powder and primers, along with some tumblers and plastic ammo boxes. No bullets, presses, dies or any other equipment, but they said they intend to once they are able to get some from distributors. Up until now, you were relegated to gun shops or a few big box stores in the area, or ordering online and dealing with the hazmat fees.

Along with that, they are now also selling the brass that is left on the range by non-reloaders. In the past, they just sold it off to a company that makes remanufactured ammo, but now they are selling it pretty cheap to shooters. I just picked up 1000 9mm and 800 45 ACP for $54 out the door. While the brass is not processed in any way, and I am sure I will recycle some it, I think it is a pretty good deal and well worth the money considering I am lower than I would like on those two calibers.

So, does your range carry reloading gear?

Valornor

^^^^Nice :)^^^^

From the indoor ranges I have been at in Utah most of them do not sell brass to the public but do sell it to either a recycler or to someone who cleans it up and resales it. They doe sell reloading components though...it all depends on the range.

bill-may

only sell fired brass. but they do sell boxes of cartridges if you wish to purchase or you brought steel core ammo.
i need to find some fired 8X56R to reload for my Steyr M95 carbine. i have plenty of 7.62X54R for my mosin nagants M91-30's,T53 carbines and 7.62X39 for my T56 SKS.. M95 makes MN recoil seem to be light as a 22LR

m&p45acp10+1

There is not a category for the range I go to. They do not sell reloading stuff at the range. They own a shop in town 16 miles away, and they sell reloading stuff. The prices while not exuberant are not bargains either. I buy some things there when I am trying something out to see if I want to order a bulk amount of it online.

MarkGlazer

It is most likely not in their business interest to do so. For example I visited a small range/supply/gun shop this past Saturday. They had no powder so I asked the "dumb" question. The gent behind the counter said that they aren't ordering powder any longer because the supplier is requiring a minimum $10k commitment. Small ranges simply can't cash flow that much money out the door with the hope they get it back fast.

Obviously the business model has changed and I think we'll see the big box stores and on-line retailers become the only providers as time passes.

pgdion

They're not much for equipment but they have supplies, especially primers and powder ... sometimes bullets. Nice thing was during the shortage it was still pretty easy to get supplies there. And members get pushed to the top of the list. :)

boondocker385

My range is owned by the local city. I have an agreement with them to use it in exchange for picking up brass and hauling off trash.....they mostly shoot 40s&w....must have 4000+...going to have to buy a gun for all that brass

Jay24bal

Thanks for the replies guys. Apparently most indoor ranges are similar to the ones I frequent.

I guess I had never considered that suppliers may have a minimum order requirement that makes it cost prohibitive to small ranges. In my mind, I figure that indoor ranges usually sell memberships, and the members were usually serious shooters. Most reloaders are relatively serious shooters, so I figured that there would be a decent captive market to buy components and equipment. Apparently my line of thinking is not correct as more ranges do not carry reloading gear.

And for those of you who's range is the back 40, stop rubbing it in;)

Marco Califo

Indoor and outdoor ranges near me do not stock reloading supplies. The reason is very simple: they sell reloaded and new ammunition which generates some of their operating revenue.
There are a couple, lets say 2 out of 12, which carry reloading stuff. Those two are shotgun sports centers, and the products stock are for that. The rifle and pistol ranges: no.

BigJimP

Some of my local ranges do ..and some don't / the ranges in my area that require "membership" tend to carry most everything, or will order anything you want or need in terms of components or machines...but they sell to members only .....making the membership worth a little more.

It also depends on what municipality they are in ...storage of larger quantities of powder and primers requires a lot of hazardous materials inspections and certifications by local fire marshalls....specific lockers, etc...so it can be a little bit of a hassle, depending on which city the ranges are in...

Often just going together with your buddies ...depending on how much you shoot...and buying components in case lots ...and then splitting them up is about as good as you'll do anywhere...as long as you have to room to store your stuff. I shoot a lot, so I buy in case lots anyway...

Watch your state and local fire marshalls codes for storage in your home...there are usually limits on powder and primers ...or specific requirements for storage containers....

reynolds357

The range I shoot at sells reloading components at dealer cost. It is a not for profit organization which leases land from a non profit organization. Basically, we just get to order what we want at wholesale distributor price.

I can not stand an indoor range. We had to shoot at one some during Police Academy, it drove me insane. The noise was a nuisance. The people I have met at indoor ranges seem to be a different breed than me. I meet rednecks at the local gun clubs. I meet mostly preps and pricks at the indoor ranges (when I have to go there.)

Jay24bal

Thank you

Thanks guys.

Even if you add up all the "yes..." answers, more ranges do not sell anything related to reloading by over a 2:1 margin.

I guess I will count myself as lucky that an indoor range by me does, and that I have a local chain of "semi-big box" stores dedicated to the outdoors that carries about everything I could ever need.

David13

One of the ranges does here. Angeles.
There are quite a few ranges here, and that may be the only one. But there are a number of stores that do have a very full line. You just have to drive across the big city to get there.
I was in Utah this week. The range there also has no employees. And no gate. Just drive on in (dirt road). And a nice range, too.
dc

Brotherbadger

My range has no employees. They give me the combination to the gate with a yearly membership.

My father's old club used to do that. They had staff two days a week, but gave you a key if you wanted to go any other day. They stopped doing that because apparently some people were abusing it. :mad:

markm_04

There is only one indoor pistol range nearby me and he usually has some components but does not sell reloading equipment. I think he mainly orders in components for himself but also sets them out on the shelves to make a little bit of money on them. I have bought a pound of powder and some 9mm bullets from him when other places were out. There is no place nearby that has a rifle range, so if I want to test some rounds I have to wait for a weekend that I can make it down to my parents farm and just hope that conditions allow it.