Does WD-40 harm blued guns?

kahrma

I have been told yes but I have used it for years and have not noticed any problems. Has anyone traced a finish problem to WD-40?

Eric Larsen

WD contains Kerosene which may or may not be compatible with certain gun finishes and grip materials...so to answer and not answer your question...maybe. There are better things out there for cleaning and lubing your babies...Shoot well

New_comer

It can "gum" things up
Hmmm...

How does it do that? I'm thinking that if it's practically kerosene under pressure, it should evaporate cleanly.

I guess it contain some 'varnish'-like component, the ingredient that repels moisture and 'lubricates' against creaks. :(

Ledbetter

Exactly so

spray some on a sheet of metal and let it dry for a day or a week. Gummy. Works okay on outboard motors though.

Regards.

WD I think is considerably lighter than kerosene. It's probably a blend of different weight oils. Over time these light oils can form gum and varnishes that can be quite difficult to remove.

RANash

WD40 works as a gun cleaner and lube if you clean the gun often and thoroughly. That's why there are lots of, usually older, guys who swear that it's great. They clean often and thoroughly. By thoroughly, I mean that they clean all the old stuff off before applying any new stuff. Then, it never gets too gummy or built up. But if you allow it to sit for a long time, it gets gummy and builds up. It also doesn't protect against rust nearly as well as most modern CLP products, which is OK if you clean often and thoroughly.

Hmm, did I say often and thoroughly often enough? And thoroughly? :D

Anyway, I find Breakfree CLP to be just fine, and it goes a very long way...

Bods Oddkin

WD40 is light enough to work its way, over time, into a cartridge through the primer pocket. Thirty some years ago a lot of my fellow cops thought WD40 was an answer to their gun maintenance prayers -- spray your revolver inside and out, cram it into your holster and never worry about it again. At least not until you eventually go to the range to qualify, and find out that the ammo you've been carrying in your sidearm won't fire.

SkunkApe

My information is in accordance with Bod's. I've heard (although I haven't verified it) that WD-40's penetrative qualities cause it to leak through primers and make the ammunition not functional.

I expect a simple test could clear this up for us. I'm going to the range on Sunday. I'll put a drop of WD-40 on a couple of rounds tonight.

Shmackey

WD-40 harms just about everything. It's a horrible lubricant and a horrible protectant. The only thing it's good for is Water Displacement. Well, that, and it smells good too.

bad_dad_brad

Forget WD40. Use CLP Breakfree. Plenty of threads discussing this. With CLP you really can't go wrong. With WD40 you can have problems - so why use it other than it is dirt cheap?

In fact, I use CLP for everything that I used to use WD40 for. It is a far superior cleaner/lubricant (it is amazing when protecting locks outdoors).

Just my two cents.

PJS Buck

Try Corrosion X

I used to own a H&K USP full size .40. They are "blue." After trying aobut 80% of the products on the market, I tried Corrosion X as an external treatment for the blue and internal as a barrel conditioner. I like WD 40 for simple home applications. If you are serious about taking care of your firearm, step up to the next level.

In my opinion, for these purpose (as well as corrosion/rust protection) it has absolutely no peer. For the record, I do not work for them or have any connection whatsoever. It very simply, is the premier product in that market segement. I honestly believe it is a product of "men amongst boys" comparison.

By the way, I regret I traded my H&K and now own a Springfield Armory Custom Loaded .45acp. Corrosion X is my best bore conditioner still!

P.

Kermit

I was told early on in my shooting 'hobby' that WD 40 was bad for guns. Don't know why, don't know how, but there are enough options out there that I can avoid using it and not miss it.

Brad Johnson

Not designed as a lubricant

WD-40 wasn't designed to be a lubricant. It was designed as a rust penetrant and water displacer. What little lubricating qualities it has come from a minute quantity of oil that is intended as a short-term surface protectant.

If you're a dedicated tightwad you can mix up your own facsimile of WD-40 by taking a gallon of kerosene and adding a cup of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil.

WD work as an okay solvent to loosen crud, but it was never meant to be used as a dedicated lubricant. Ditto using it as a protectant for long-term storage. From what I've read Breakfree CLP is about the top of the heap when it comes to long-term protection. As far as lube goes, I usually use a few drops of light machine oil or synthetic motor oil. I usually clean and lightly lubricate my guns immediately after I finish shooting, so most any light lubricating oil will suffice for my situation. Because my guns may be stored for several weeks or even months at a time, I'm less concerned with my lubricant than I am with the effectiveness of my storage protectant.

Brad

7th Fleet

When my Father died I inherited his gun collection that had been maintained with WD-40 and we're talking about a considerable number of guns. They were all like the day they left the factory and I continue to use WD-40 on my guns to the very day, with excellent results. I ocassionally go into the gun vault and spray them down with WD-40 and wipe then down with an old Tee shirt to remove the excess, along with accumulated dust since the last time I paid them a visit. My guns are kept with a dehydrator to keep the moisture down. WD-40 is also excellent for spraying into the action and parts like bolts to flush out the dirt and the accumulated contaminants.

7th

TallPine

The neat thing about guns is that they work so well if given anything even remotely resembling good care. (not like a lot of other things)

That said, after the reading all the WD-40 horror stories on TFL, I switched to BreakFreeCLP - it cleans better. lubes better, and goes farther so it may be cheaper in the long run (if you don't lose the can or run over it with your pickup)

James K

Member In Memoriam
I realize that guns should be stored properly, but if a gun treated with WD-40 is left in a damp area, the WD-40 itself will mildew and ruin the finish. Don't ask me how I know.

Jim

I think that's the kerosene content, Jim, that supports the mold growth.

I don't know what it is, but some critters can apparently live in kerosene. When you've got a can that's gone bad, you know it, as it REEKS.

cheygriz

WD-40 is a GREAT gun cleaner. Just be sure to get it all off of your gun after cleaning, and use a good protective coating. I prefer the dry lube/presevatives such as Tetra, Remoil, EEzox, Dry Slide etc. If I lived in a damp climate, I would probably use something wet and yucky like Break Free.

There's no harm in using WD-40. Just get itv off of your gun after cleaning.

And as was said earlier by Brad, WD-40 was never designed to be a lubricant or preservative.