Does Walther always delay new gun releases like this?

WildBill45

We have money down on Walther CCP, thinking this is "the one" for my sweetie but, after reviews and magazine articles everywhere for months and months, still no CCP:(

Does anyone here have any inside information on the release?

Venom1956

Does Walther make it or does Umerax?:confused: If it comes outta the walther plant it looks interesting. blow back 9mm on a poly frame might feel... Brisk?;)

JJNA

They are state-side from what I understand. Just waiting to be released to the wild in 2015. There is some mystery about the origin, but there is a strong suspicion that it is Umarex-manufactured.

carguychris

JJNA said:
...there is a strong suspicion that it is Umarex-manufactured.
FWIW the reason for this is that photos of pre-production samples show Cologne (Arnsburg) proof marks, which are generally indicative of Umarex production. Guns from the Walther plant have Ulm proof marks.

OTOH Walther now claims that they have their own exclusive area within the Umarex complex, staffed by their own workers.

ScotchMan

So it comes down to where the suck is introduced to the process. The plant, the management, the workers, the designs?

I'll be very leary of this one until I see a lot of documented experience with it. The R51 looked great at first too. I would not recommend making this anyone's carry gun without some thorough testing (like at least a thousand rounds IMO).

marine6680

Walter isn't know for making poor firearms... While the little 22 pistol can be hit or miss, many report it to be a fine pistol once broken in with a 1000rds of quality ammo.

Rather the release be delayed a bit to ensure proper functioning in production guns, and that stock is built up enough to prevent price gouging issues.

And being a gas delayed blowback, the recoil shouldn't be too bad.

T. O'Heir

It's not just Walther's marketing types. All the companies are run by MBA's now and they announce stuff just to test the market.
Anyway, you need to take your sweetie shopping and let her pick what she wants. It's not for you.

Fishbed77

Walter isn't know for making poor firearms... While the little 22 pistol can be hit or miss, many report it to be a fine pistol once broken in with a 1000rds of quality ammo.

But Walther doesn't make the CCP. Umarex does.

And Umarex IS known for making poor firearms (SP22, P22, and many other potmetal rimfires and airsoft toys).

JHansenAK47

gas-delayed blowback action
Interesting. It seems they are doing something similar to the HK P7 and Steyr GB. Both pistols with a cult following and both pistols that work better if the fouling from the gas system is kept in check.

Venom1956

Interesting. It seems they are doing something similar to the HK P7 and Steyr GB. Both pistols with a cult following and both pistols that work better if the fouling from the gas system is kept in check.

doubt it. its probably just a blowback action.

marine6680

Its already been said it is gas delayed. I have seen many articles about it.

Even if Umarex makes it, that does not mean its bad. There are several pistols they make that are said to be good... Zinc alloy or no. There are others that are hit and miss most definitely though.

This is a pistol focused on concealability and defense... with that role in mind, I doubt Walther will allow Umarex to make it poorly and ruin their reputation. A little 22 is one thing, but not something like this.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

This is a pistol focused on concealability and defense... with that role in mind, I doubt Walther will allow Umarex to make it poorly and ruin their reputation. A little 22 is one thing, but not something like this.

Walther has no choice in the matter. Umarex has owned Walther for years and is not afraid to plaster the Walther name on all manner of products.

HKFan9

It looks like a retro fitted PK 380 which were / are god awful.

It pays respects to the P7 design, but I'd buy another p7 before that thing. PPS is Walters true carry gun, this looks like another Umarex mistake.

AustinTX

Even if Umarex makes it, that does not mean its bad. There are several pistols they make that are said to be good... Zinc alloy or no. There are others that are hit and miss most definitely though.

A gun is made with a zinc alloy slide and components is ipso facto not a high-quality gun. Owners of Walther-stamped Umarex pistols do often show a reflexive need to justify their decisions by arguing that the guns are well-made (this is the same reason Taurus has its own forum of rabid fans), or that the guns are at least really "fun" when the first claim fizzles in the face of evidence, but that doesn't mean the guns are in fact anything other than the low-rent junk they are.

As others have said, you should learn a little more about who calls the shots between Umarex and Walther. Walther doesn't get to "allow" or "disallow" anything here. If Umarex is the actual manufacturer, it will be a low-quality pistol, and Umarex has shown no reticence about potentially doing long-term damage to the Walther brand by stamping the Walther name on the junk it produces. The P22 isn't the only example.

marine6680

I don't own a single Walther, so I don't care much to defend, no need.

I am only familiar with their main pistol line, not with the lower cost umarex made stuff. And I avoid them for the most part due to their increased hit or miss reputation. There is a difference between the statement good gun, and high quality gun. High quality was never a claim I made. Intended use is important, I wouldn't trust a zinc alloy pistol for serious use.

All I am saying is that we can't pre judge the pistol.

We have no clue as to the materials and construction. Whether it is a Walther design, or umarex project.

I would venture that Remington's recent blunder with the R51 will serve as a wake up call to those in charge of the various manufacturers, that brand recognition alone will not cut it, especially in today's world of Internet reviews. Paid off gun rag reviews are not the only game in town.

Maybe it will take another blunder before it sinks in. Who knows.

Right now, it's all speculation... And while prudence may be justified for new gun designs, and some brands may be more suspect than others, so just let the early adopters and ones with extra cash test the waters... Flat out dismissal before the start is unfair.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

I am only familiar with their main pistol line, not with the lower cost umarex made stuff. And I avoid them for the most part due to their increased hit or miss reputation.

And that's the problem. Umarex sullies the Walther name by putting out junk with the Walther name plastered on it, which leads people to think all "Walthers" are hit-or-miss with regards to quality.

When in fact, the REAL Walther pistols (actually manufactured by Walther in Ulm, Germany) are very high-quality pistols. The P99, PPQ, and PPS fall into this category.

Onward Allusion

If it is delayed, then they are probably working out a few kinks. A good as the CCP looks and is designed, I would not put my life on the line with a dot zero release.