Does This M14 Rear Sight Exist?

B. Lahey

I'm in the middle of buying parts for my M14 build, and got to thinking about rear sights (again).

I really like my AR's rear sight as it has the option of a small aperture or a larger one for different light conditions. Does anyone make an M14 rear sight like that, where you can switch between something like a NM aperture and a more generously sized one with minimum hassle?

I've clicked through a million webpages looking for something like this with no luck so far.

SR420

If you happen use a LAW483 M14 MCS from TROY or a SAGE EBR stock you can use TROY flip up battle sights.
These and other AR style BUIS will give you the dual aperture you seek.

Other than that, you are stuck with the finest MBR iron sights made :)

B. Lahey

How much of an operation is it to change apertures on a NM or regular GI M14 rear?

I can't do the tekno-commando stocks.

Is there anyone who could build me a custom rear sight?

azredhawk44

How much of an operation is it to change apertures on a NM or regular GI M14 rear?

Longer than you would want to take in a defensive situation.

Less accurate than you would want for a recreational situation.

I've been told by a very good M14 smith that the proper way to size an aperture to an assembly is to fit the assembly to the aperture, not the aperture to the assembly. This means you adjust the width of the sight groove to firmly hold the aperture rather than grinding/filing the aperture's spine to fit the existing sight groove.

Doing that for 2 separate aperture pieces would be next to impossible. One would have more rattle than the other, being less accurate.

kraigwy

]Does anyone make an M14 rear sight like that, where you can switch between something like a NM aperture

Yes they make two hooded apetures for the M14/M1 NM rear sight. (Maybe more but I have two. One is 520, the other 495.

B. Lahey

Yes they make two hooded apetures for the M14/M1 NM rear sight. (Maybe more but I have two. One is 520, the other 495.

So the little screw-in hood thing contains the aperture and you can swap them out?

That would probably work, let me do some more digging...

B. Lahey

One is 520, the other 495

Ok, dug around some more. Aren't both of those NM apertures still considerably tighter than the GI aperture? I would like one option that will work in woods/dusk/overcast skies at dawn/etc...

Could you unscrew the hood and use the remaining hole as a ghost-ring or am I totally confused at this point?

B. Lahey

Perhaps there is something of use in the thread "Adjustable iris sights for M1A1? "

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t,+aperature

Neat setup. That's pretty much what I'm looking for even though I would rather have two options without wrangling little hoods, they look like the sort of things I would lose. Only $7-$10 each, though, so I guess losing one wouldn't be a big deal.

And the aperture choices would be endless...

Thanks for the tip SlamFire.

onemsumba

I have a NM app on mine and have never thought about changing it out. Don't see why I would want or need to... but maybe you are doing some shooting that I'm not doing...

I have a large and small app on my AR. but i think i only use the small app there as well. I generally shoot targets and nothing else. If your doing a 3 gun match or something where you need a larger field of view I could see where you might want different apps...

anyway point is try one. it willl probably work fine for what you need once you get use to it.

good luck on the build.

B. Lahey

I've tried the NM apertures. Great for normal light conditions, that's why I want one of my options to be the target aperture.

Got word from a good custom shop that my custom fantasto-sight is impossible. I'll just have Compass drill and tap a regular rear for the swapable hoods with different apertures.

Good enough, I guess.